Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DOES ANYONE KNOW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 9 Dec 2007 16:20

If you have been married once and then decide
to remarry do you use your maiden name (ie, before you ever got married ) or your married name /... or can you use your maiden name anyway the second time round ,.......if you see what i mean lol..
Hazelx

K

K Report 9 Dec 2007 16:23

I think you use the name you are known by at the time - usually the name from the first marraige

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 9 Dec 2007 16:26

Thank you K,
i thought it was, but was wondering whether you could use your maiden name .
Hazel

val1963

val1963 Report 9 Dec 2007 16:26

Hi Hazel,

I have just received my 3x great grandmothers 2nd marriage cert and she used her married name
when she married her 2nd husband

Val

Laura

Laura Report 9 Dec 2007 16:28

I think it also depends on whether they divorced, were widowed etc.

If your first husband died, you'd probably keep using your married name.

If you and your husband 'fell out' big style and got divorced, you may go back to using your maiden name inbetween, although I think this is a more modern thing so it depends when you're looking at!

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 9 Dec 2007 16:46

Hi Twinkle, Laura, and Amokavid,
i'm sorry i should have said its in the 90's
that i'm talking about .
it is to do with my family tree
it's just that a relative got divorced and remarried
and i cant find her
Hazelx

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 9 Dec 2007 22:41

Cert I have shows the lady with her previous married name nee ......

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 9 Dec 2007 23:13

The cert I have comes up the same as Joe's & is shown on Ancestry twice, once under maiden name the other under previous married name.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Dec 2007 13:18

I'm getting re-married next year and asked whether I should use my married name or my maiden name when booking the ceremony. I was told to use the name I am known by.

Sally

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 10 Dec 2007 13:37

hi, I have been married twice but only use my maiden name.

Whirley

Whirley Report 10 Dec 2007 13:49

if you divorce & remarry, you will need to use the name you have "legally" at the time of your re-marriage. So if you kept your old married name, u'll use that. If you changed your name back to your maiden name/or other, by say Deed Poll or Sat Dec then you will use that....

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Dec 2007 14:59

I have a friend who married and had a son and became Mrs E.......
After several years she divorced and a few years later married Mr. L....but chose to still be known by her previous married name as it was the same surname as her son.

My cousin married , -using her maiden name, - for a 2nd time after her 1st marriage ended in divorce.

Gwyn

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 10 Dec 2007 17:33

I havent read all the post but ....
I have married twice .........but was asked my LAST married name when trying to marry the second time ...I then needed to show my divorce papers ......

But back in them times !!!! My great granny put her forst married name on her second marriage certificate...and she hadnt divorced the first hubby !!!!!!!