Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I know which man is mine?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 10 Dec 2007 15:27

I an beginning to get stuck now on records pre-1837.

For example, I have a relative called George Mountford, he married in 1809 and his first child (that I can find) was born c1810.

Assuming that he was about 20 when he married, searching parish records on Ancestry and the IGI brings up at least 3 George Mountfords born in the right area at the right time. I daren't look at the actual parish records in case I find any more!

How can I ascertain which George is mine, or even prove that they aren't? I haven't found wills for any of them, no-one in my family had any money! They all worked as potters (as did 99% of Stoke on Trent at that time!) so I can't even use occupation to narrow it down.

I have quite a few instances of this, George is just an example!

Thanks
Sam x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Dec 2007 15:37

You really need parish registers of burials.
Maybe you will be able to eliminate some Georges who died young.

Witnesses at marriage may suggest one particular family, if siblings were present.

Do naming patterns help.?
Often a first born son was named after his paternal grandfather.

Gwyn

Sam

Sam Report 10 Dec 2007 15:45

That's a good idea Gwyn, I'll look at the names of the children of the George I know is mine and see if any of his potential parents are named the same.

The witnesses to George's marriage seem to be 'serial witnesses' for the church concerned so aren't much help on this occasion.

It's a nightmare with so many families with the same names born in the same town at the same time!

Thanks
Sam x

Peter

Peter Report 10 Dec 2007 15:48

Sam,

I assume your remark about not looking at parish registers was a joke as the IGI is not exhaustive and therefore your real ancestor may not be in the IGI. To be as sure as you can be, you will have to do as Gwyn suggests and trawl the parish registers, construct family trees, kill off people, marry off others, and hope that you can follow them in the censuses. In that way you may have enough information to eliminate the wrong George Mountfords and identify the correct one.

For me this is the most rewarding part of genealogy: instead of just tapping keys and taking the fruits of others' labours it means real research, detection and enjoyment.

Peter

Heather

Heather Report 10 Dec 2007 15:54

Certainly with Peter on this - the fantastic adrenalin rush as you find your ancestor for definite in a parish record must be one of the best feelings in the world!

Sam

Sam Report 10 Dec 2007 16:10

Peter,

I have spent literally hours at the Archives on many occasions trawling through the parish records and I am well aware that the IGI is far from complete. Even the transcriptions on there I have found to be incorrect by checking the original parish records.

I most certainly do not 'tap keys and take the fruits of other labours' and I am quite offended that you would even suggest this.

My comment was made half jokingly, I have found enough George Mountfords to try and sort out, I am quite sure I will find more in the actual parish records to confuse matters further.

Sam x

Heather

Heather Report 10 Dec 2007 18:04

Sam, I think we all know you were kidding.

I think Peters remarks were meant as a general tip to everyone.(Mine certainly were :))

Peter

Peter Report 10 Dec 2007 23:14

Sam, I am sorry if I have inadvertently caused you offence. I did take the humour in the original posting but it was not clear from it that you were so steeped in parish registers that you were really posing a rhetorical question.

Peter