Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nicknames

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 10 Dec 2007 20:36

One of my great uncles had the wonderful name of Summers Boggon Stephenson. Boggon I know was the maiden name of his maternal grandmother Isabella Boggon.Summers as a christian name remains a blank!
However this man was known to my dads generation as uncle Mossie. Are there any lateral thinkers out there who could possibly suggest why Summers Stephenson would be known as Mossie!

cheers

Mike

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2007 21:10

Summer - Mosquitoes - Mossie ????

Aren't ancestors awful. My g grandad had the unusual name of Gifford. From first census he appeared in, and even on his grave he was known as Sidney!!!!

maggie

Michael

Michael Report 10 Dec 2007 21:26

Hi Maggie
Did they have mosquitoes in Newcastle in the early 1900s!!!

Mike

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2007 21:32

If they had standing water - they had mosquitoes!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2007 21:35

Actually, there's always a chance he didn't like the name Summer and chose to be known as Amos - and this became Mossie.

maggie

Susan

Susan Report 10 Dec 2007 22:34

Where I grew up there was an area known as Marton Moss ... it was quite boggy and I always think of mossy and boggy being interlinked so you may find it was to do with his middle name rather than first name!

Su

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 11 Dec 2007 03:05

http://timplester.blogspot.com/2006/05/unclehood-part-ii.html

"In the meantime, my nephew
has given his new sibling the nickname of "Mossie".
Turns out that it means "first-born" in Swahili."

Not Swahili, you're thinking ...

http://worldcup.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,21043,13153_2649289,00.html

"Did you know?: Fourie's nickname is 'Mossie' - which means mosquito in Afrikaans."

Had anybody in the family served in the Anglo-Boer war?

"Mosquito" might not be far off after all. ;)

Michael

Michael Report 11 Dec 2007 11:46

I have just remembered that about 20 years ago I contacted a now long gone uncle for any information about our family.I have found the letter and he lists his aunts and uncles.No mention of a Summers but there is a Mostyn.He must have thought Mostyn was his real name.One more red herring! Thanks for suggestions folks.
As it happened having an unusual name like Summers Boggon Stephenson made tracing him a bit easier.Or it would have been if he had been the only one.Can you believe he had a cousin a couple of years younger with the same name!

cheers

Mike

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 11 Dec 2007 11:59

I had a fairly close relation who went his whole life from before he was born known as Bump.

Even now I have to stop and think if I need to put his real name on my family tree.

All the boys in his family were given rather random nicknames.

Sue
x