Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NOT SO HOT MATCHES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Llamedos

Llamedos Report 10 Dec 2007 21:24

Having just spent most of this evening trawling through 11 pages on Hot Matches - that's 200 entries folks, I have come to the conclusion NEVER to do it again! Not ONE entry with any connection. WHY?

GR seems to think that aHot Match is for example:
Joe Bloggs born in 1881 Victoria, Australia is a hot Match for MY Joe Bloggs born 1881 at Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire.........

Come on GR these two entries are on each side of the world - they could NOT be further apart! Please GR - include place of birth in future - then we will get more positive hits.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 10 Dec 2007 22:22

I have read of others having hot matches like this but I had always found mine to be ok - until the latest ones.
Tonight I had an Eva Smith born 1928 as a hot match for Thomas Knowles born 1823.
Can't see it myself - but the computer says yes! :-)

Ang J

Ang J Report 10 Dec 2007 22:24

oh same hear what a waste of time every new one i got this month was the same as last month and it clearly said i had contacted them .
i would rather not have them at all unless they are definates .
Ang

Charles

Charles Report 10 Dec 2007 22:37

I usually get around 5 pages and most of them are "false-positives". However, I don't find it too hard to work through them and it is worth it for the occassional good one.

lilinaminute

lilinaminute Report 11 Dec 2007 06:44

i agree with you totally charles

Huia

Huia Report 11 Dec 2007 08:47

Mine were for the same 8 or 9 names on 5 pages, various places of birth, some of which I deleted. I have contacted one person and might contact a few more 'some time' if I get bored with the boards.

At least this time I was notified of my hot matches, even if it was after I had already found them.

Huia.

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 11 Dec 2007 09:24

While the place of birth field is 'freeform' (you can write what you like), it's hard to match people by place of birth.

I don't rely on hot matches, I hover over the little tree icon on my tree and have a look at any matches that way.

Nicky 'n' Steve

Nicky 'n' Steve Report 11 Dec 2007 09:58

Exactly Lesley/Suzanne.

How does the hot match system differentiate between, for example, West Bromwich, W Bromwich, West Brom, W Brom, W.Brom, w.brom, etc etc etc.

Answer - it can't - so it just goes by name and date.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 11 Dec 2007 10:09

I totally agree with you ... remove the view button and just put the name of the so called match it would save hours, specially on a slow site like this one.

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 11 Dec 2007 11:10

Blimey! I never thought I would find myself defending Genes Reunited! LOL

Carole

Carole Report 11 Dec 2007 11:10

I find that these HOTMATCHES the initials are not what you are looking for most of the time. Carol

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 11 Dec 2007 23:08

I checked mine today - they were all in the "B" or "S" range of the alphabet! (Brooks, Brewer, Sparks) Weird. Only one or two possibles the rest were useless.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Dec 2007 02:38

Consider yourselves lucky. I got none this week. Zero. Rien de tout.

Not that I needed any more matches with descendants of those supremely fertile James and William Hills who aren't mine ...

Lynn1976

Lynn1976 Report 12 Dec 2007 05:04

i get quite a few that don't match, however for someone who is just at the beginning of her tree, i would rather troll through the countless non-matches than miss them altogether :)