Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Good pair of eyes needed please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 12 Dec 2007 13:03

In the 1861 UK census, my g,g,g,g garandfather was listed as Frederick Happer aged 56 in St. Georges in the East Middlesex. He lived with his wife Sarah (60) who was born in Ipswich and his son Frederick (30). He was a sugrar refiner (boiler) and I know that he was born in Germany.

The place of birth column says something along the lines of Hesse _aspel. I just can't erad the first letter of the second word.

Could someone have a look please and tell me what you make of it?

Many thanks in advance...

Lesley

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 12 Dec 2007 13:18

It is Hesse Cassel (sometimes spelt with a "K").

Found this about it on Wikipedia online:

"The Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel (German: Landgrafschaft Hessen-Kassel) or Hesse-Cassel was a Reichsfrei principality of the Holy Roman Empire that came into existence when the Landgraviate of Hesse was divided in 1567 upon the death of Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse. His eldest son William IV inherited the northern half and the capital of Kassel. The other sons received the Landgraviate of Hesse-Marburg, the Landgraviate of Hesse-Rheinfels and the Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt.

The Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel was elevated to the Electorate of Hesse (Kurfürstentum Hessen, or Kurhessen) in 1803. It was then annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia in 1866 after the Austro-Prussian War and subsequently became the Province of Hesse-Nassau."

Regards

Athena

Sam

Sam Report 12 Dec 2007 13:19

Could it be Hesse Cassel? Apparently this was until 1866 a German Kurfürstentum [electorate] consisting of 4 provinces.

Sam x

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 12 Dec 2007 13:21

Fantastic!!

I knew someone would come up trumps on here.

You're all STARS!!!

Thank you!

(You can tell I'm very happy, eh?...)

Heather

Heather Report 12 Dec 2007 16:50

Lesley, if you google there are sites just for the German sugar bakers on the net (I had one too!) They all seemed to have come over in a big wave of immigration when the sugar refineries were set up near the Thames. Worth a look anyway for background info.to flesh out your tree.