Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

URGENT -FTM 2006 help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 15 Dec 2007 21:16

I seem to have detached individuals and got duplicate individuals in my tree after trying to 'fix relationships' under the people heading. Now I have 2 Mary Youngs but can't link them to the spouse even though I have tried the merge duplicate people prompt. I am worried I'll lose the descendants from this link in the tree.I have backed up the tree before merging but wondered if there was a quick fix please. I am going to cry in about 10 minutes as I've been working on this for about 4 hours tonight!!!!!

Di

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Dec 2007 21:27

Di

I am no expert although I use FTM.

If you have backed up then you must have a 'clean' tree saved before you started playing around with it.

I would suggest loading the backup tree to FTM as a new tree and then check it is as what you had it before 'playing'.

You can then start again, sorting out your duplicate entries.

Chris

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 15 Dec 2007 21:32

Chris
Thanks for replying and I have done this now. I was hoping that the 4 hours work I put in wasn't wasted but I suppose I need to look at it that I haven't lost it all!!
I'll put the tissues away now.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Dec 2007 22:27

Di

Wasn't all the 4 hours work included in the backup?

As I understand it....FTM backup 'captures' what you have input, to the tree, at that moment in time. So I would expect the 4hrs work to be included.

Hope you get it sorted.

Chris

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 15 Dec 2007 22:48

Chris
Managed to delete the duplicate ones after some worrying time. I had got the back up but that was done before the 4 hours work and yes I clicked 'yes' to the prompt to back up before trying to merge duplicate names but an error message came up so I persevered. I was beginning to tear my hair out but I'm Ok now. Thanks for the advice and support
Di