Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i have shared my tree..my problem!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 16 Dec 2007 08:42

hi..looking for some advice...there may be a simple answer to this.
I have over 400 members in my tree,and when i check hot matches/tree matches,i inevitably receive messages saying,i have shared my tree.....but no name...so consequently,when i go back to my messages 3 weeks later,i have about 5 messages stating `i have shared my tree`........but i haven`t a clue which family member of mine might be in their tree.
If they replied `i have shared my tree-re William Jones b 1876..i`d know who to look for in their tree....am i doing something wrong or does anyone else have this problem??....allan

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 16 Dec 2007 09:33

The 'Ive share my tree' message generates automatically when you click to share a tree, maybe they are spotting a name clicking the allow button in the hope that you will do the same. I receive them myself but never respond unless I get a seperate message outlining what they are looking for and the year, place of birth etc

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Dec 2007 09:40

Could you clarify....?

Is this in response to you contacting them about a hot match or name?
If so, go to your 'Sent' messages and see which person you thought was a match when you made contact.

I do know what you mean about vague messages.
They have been worse since GR updated and sends out PMs with....a new message from (whoever)
Before then, people had to write a subject / title but if I try and help on the boards and answer a thread, I might get a PM( no heading) saying for example..... I think James married Mary about 1858....??????

I can't hold all the threads in my mind....

Gwyn

Gwyn

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 17 Dec 2007 13:44

thankyou both...i said there might be a simple answer...in future i will check my ``sent messages``...cheers...allan

Kate

Kate Report 17 Dec 2007 14:43

If I open my tree, I've started trying to do it at the same time as sending or returning a message saying who the match is or who I'm looking for.

Sometimes I wish there was an option for one person to tick a box etc to say they don't want to see another person's tree any more ie. if you are sent a message that turns out not to be a relation, otherwise you end up like I am now with about 70 trees open to me (not all of which are relevent to my family lines).

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 17 Dec 2007 14:50

snap kate...i know the feeling..lol...allan

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Dec 2007 17:14

Go to Your Contacts to see all previous messages for the person, both sent and received, not an issue.

As fas as "unwanted" trees are concerned, why is this a problem too? Either don't look at them, or delete the contact and the tree will go away.