Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LB

LB Report 16 Dec 2007 15:10

Hi

I would like to find out more about an ancestor who was in the Royal Artillery based in Aldershot in 1863.

Can any body tell me where to start please?

Many thanks

LB

Joan

Joan Report 16 Dec 2007 16:44

Try his name in the National Archives Kew online search...if you give his name, date and place of birth here I'm sure people would have a look
Joan

LB

LB Report 16 Dec 2007 16:54

Thank you very much for that Jo-anne. Do you know roughly what part of it I should be looking at?

Regards

LB

LB

LB Report 16 Dec 2007 17:37

Thanks for your reply Joan.

His name was George Brett and her was born in Brent Pelham, Hertfordshire on 19 Sept 1835.

He married in Brent Pelham in 1863 and on the parish register he is recorded as being in the Royal Artillery based in Aldershot.

Regards

LB

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Dec 2007 18:05

You won't find his records online at National Archives, I'm afraid. It would be a question of going there to look, or getting someone to go for you.

LB

LB Report 16 Dec 2007 20:46

Thanks Ann

Joan

Joan Report 17 Dec 2007 09:06

Hi LB
Looked for your Gearge and didn't find hiom....did find

Online Document PROB 11/1927
Will of George Brett , Farmer of Furneux Pelham , Hertfordshire
Date: 1840

though, could he be yours....previous generation?

The National Archives have got some very good services where you can order online and they post the papers to you...or send digital images. I got my ggg grandfathers army discharge papers from them but that was much earlier 1827.

But as Ann realised , no records cataloqued online for 1850/60s

Good luck
Joan

sydenham

sydenham Report 17 Dec 2007 12:40

LB

Are you able to work out roughly when he would have left the army - ten year window would do. Then you would be able to get someone to check the relevant box of discharge to pension papers, series WO97, which will hold everything about him.

Jan

LB

LB Report 17 Dec 2007 18:33

Hi Jan and Joan

Thank you for your replies and apologies for the delay in mine, I’ve just got in from work.

I have a total of nine George Brett’s in my tree (all Agricultural Labourers) and with the exception of two early ones they all came from the Brent Pelham and Furneux Pelham areas, so I’m sure the George you found Joan is one of them and I would be most interested to obtain a copy of his will, if you would kindly tell me how I do that.

I don’t know when the George in question left the army. He married a local girl Eliza Rule in Brent Pelham in 1863 and all of his eight chidren were baptised there. The last four, born between 1866 and 1870, were not baptised until 1873 and on all of their baptismal entries in the parish registers he is described as being in the Royal Artillery based in Aldershot. I’m afraid that’s all I know at present, he is a work in progress!

Regards

LB

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 17 Dec 2007 18:54

That's quite a good date, really! In WO 97 those discharged 1873-1882 are all filed together (by regiment), so not too many to look through!

LB

LB Report 17 Dec 2007 21:38

That's good news thank you very much.

LB