Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

N.B.I.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸.

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸. Report 16 Dec 2007 15:24

Hubby has offered to buy me the N.B. I. c.d.s for Christmas. Can anyone tell me if it is worth spending £40 on them please. Will I get the info I need to go futher in my research, or what else I should get. I have most of the census info .Thanks in advance for any advice Val

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 16 Dec 2007 15:35

Have a look here...

http://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php

Click on the county and it gives you the coverage for the individual county.
You can then work out whether what you need is covered.

Chris

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸.

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸. Report 16 Dec 2007 15:38

Thanks Chris will go and look but I thought it covered all England and Wales? Val

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 16 Dec 2007 16:50

I had a look at these at my local LDS church - and there are gaps - especially in those places where I wanted the info - LOL!

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸.

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸. Report 16 Dec 2007 17:00

Thanks Jill,that looks from the link Chris sent that is going to be my problem.most of my ancestors are in Wales and there is not that much coverage in the areas I need. Thanks to you both for your input
Val

Debbie

Debbie Report 16 Dec 2007 17:28

VAL

where in Wales are you looking for?

debs

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸.

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸. Report 16 Dec 2007 18:12

Hi Debra
My family come from Tredegar and Merthyr
and linked to Llanidloes, although I am still waiting for certs to research that side and not looking forward to it as the name is so common there and I think it is going to be a bit of a nightmare

Countrymouse

Countrymouse Report 16 Dec 2007 20:47

Is the latest NBI info on familyhistoryonline or findmypast? Or is just some of it there?

Michael

Michael Report 16 Dec 2007 21:59

Hi Val
I bought the NBI CDs a while ago and have not found one relevant record in Northumberland Surrey Yorkshire or Somerset. Best of luck!

Mike

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸.

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸. Report 16 Dec 2007 22:11

Hi Mike
Thanks for that. I don't know what is the best option then? Looks like I am not getting a chrissie present then !!! will have to think of something else.

Hi kate
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question perhaps someone else does?

Thanks everyone for your help and imput
Val

Tiger Lil

Tiger Lil Report 16 Dec 2007 23:52

Hi Val,

My Welsh relatives also have a common name (Morgan) and came from Llangyfelach, which isn't far from Tredegar and Merthyr. Despite that I have been able to find out a lot about them - if you haven't already, consider joining the Glamorgan Family History Society - they offer many parish records on CD (you don't have to be a member to buy them) at reasonable prices.

You can also try the National Archives of Wales and the Swansea Library sites - both these have lots of information on-line.

Google these sites and see what is available.

Good luck,

Lynn

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸.

(¯`*•.¸ (¯`*•.¸Valerie¸. Report 16 Dec 2007 23:59

Hi Lynn
What cost is involved in joining a family history society please and is it worthwhile ? The name for Llanidloes is Jarman and there is a good site which used to have a lot of Jarman families on it but the info now that I am on the "trail "seems to have disappeared Just my luck !!!

Heather

Heather Report 17 Dec 2007 13:55

You need to google for the family history society info but normally its only about a tenner a year.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 14:16

sorry, my deletion, added to wrong thread.