Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Jones profession

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 17 Dec 2007 09:06

William Jones is an ancestor of mine. On his son's marriage certificate, he is listed as deceased and in the rank or profession box, is written, U.A.G.S. Does anyone know what these initials stand for?

Sam

Sam Report 17 Dec 2007 09:17

Are you sure that's what it says? When was the son married, can you find William on a previous census with his occupation written more clearly?

Sam x

Alan

Alan Report 17 Dec 2007 09:50

This marriage was in 1869 in Hampstead, London.
I cannot find him on any previous census. It is definitely U.A.G.S., and nothng else. Unfortunately his son died the next year at the age of 20, so I have no other record of the family.

Sam

Sam Report 17 Dec 2007 09:53

What was his son's name and occupation?

Sam x

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 17 Dec 2007 11:51

Hi

Not sure this is the right???

UAGS: Unplanned Automatic Grid Separation (power plant performance)

Cheryl x

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Dec 2007 12:42

Have you found the son in the 1861 census? If you post his name etc someone will be happy to look for you.

Jill

Alan

Alan Report 17 Dec 2007 13:30

I have been unable to find any trace of him or his son. Which is surprising as his son's name is William Raven Jones! His son's occupation is "Railway Clerk". This marriage took place in Hampstead, London , although his wife came from Mile End.

Heather

Heather Report 17 Dec 2007 13:35

Alan, are you sure of those initials? Im thinking may be another Railway employee? The name is possibly Welsh - have you checked the Welsh census?

I suppose if you were a real glutton for punishment or just desperate you could go on the reasonable premis mums maiden name MAY be Raven and check for all Raven/William Jones marriages. Course, thats just a wild guess.