Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused by Scottish heritage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2007 12:45

Firstly let me apologise,
I posted this thread yesterday under the Surname section but have had only one response.
I am posting here as I feel this section may be more pertinent to my needs.

I am starting to get a little perplexed with the scottish side of my family tree.
I have a James McGeorge, which if he didn't lie on the census was born in Scotland around 1826.
I have found his marriage certificate, whereby he married Mary Setery and his Father is listed as William.

I have just done a search on scotlandspeople for James McGeorge and a Father called William.
There are 3 matches, one in 1814, one in 1852 (after his marriage), and one in 1821.

The conclusion I am edging towards is that he lied and knocked 5 years off his age when in England.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Paul

Potty

Potty Report 17 Dec 2007 12:54

When did he leave Scotland? Do you know where in Scotland he was born?

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2007 13:24

I don;t know when he left or where abouts he was born unfortunately.
The census records only record his birthplace as Scotland.

I have him down as born circa 1826, and I know he had a son and daughter circa 1845.
His marriage certificate show he married Mary Setery on the 25th of March 1844.

Sorry I don't have further info.

Alistair

Alistair Report 17 Dec 2007 13:40

Is this him here?

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MCGEORGE Robert M 30 Clergyman Lanarkshire
MCGEORGE Marion F 20 Lanarkshire
MCGEORGE William M 20 Engineer Apprentice Lanarkshire
MCGEORGE James M 15 Law Apprentice Lanarkshire
MCINDOE John M 20 Merchant Lanarkshire
MCINDOE Elisabeth F 20 Lanarkshire
MCDONALD Maria F 20 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)
MUIRHEAD Charlotte F 20 Female Servant Lanarkshire

If you look at the various ages in this household, you will see that they are all divisible by 5. This is because many census collectors in the 1841 census in Scotland rounded down the ages. He could have been 19.

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2007 13:50

I couldn't say for certain.

I know from his marriage certificate that his Father was called William, and William's ocuaption was 'Mason'.

There is a word under his name on the certificate but I cannot make it out.

Paul

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Dec 2007 16:16

1851 census for ref only

Name: James McGeorge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Where born: Scotland

Civil Parish: Longbenton
County/Island: Northumberland

Registration district: Tynemouth
Sub-registration district: Longbenton
ED, institution, or vessel: 1b
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 80
Household Members: Name Age
Easter McGeorge 3
James McGeorge 28
Margaret McGeorge 5
Mary McGeorge 26
Mary McGeorge 7 Mo
William McGeorge 6

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Dec 2007 16:20

Allow some latitude with regard to birth year........I note that in 1861, son William is recorded as being 18...born two years before the wedding, when his mother would have been 14! She and James have both 'lost' 3 years between 1851 and 1861

Reg

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Dec 2007 17:24

Not all births before 1855 are Recorded.

General Registration only started in Scotland in 1855, before that we have to rely on Parish Registers some of which have been damaged/lost or where simply never recorded.

If your ancestors where not of the Church of Scotland then those records (eg Catholic records) are not available online yet thought there are plans to get them transcribed and put onto SP. Permission has to be gathered first though, thats what is taking time with many records.

Do you have the family in every census? Does his birth place always say Scotland? Sometimes in later census you get a region at least. Do they never have any visitors/boarders from Scotland that could be relations? Sometimes you strike it lucky.

Hope that clears up somethings about Scottish births pre 1855.

Mhairi

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2007 17:51

That certainly helps.
All of the census images say Scotland, with his children all being born in the North East of England.
I will double check for boarders but none at first glance.

Paul