Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial Index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 13:00

I am looking for the date of my Gtx3 Grandfather. In 1841 his age is given as 80. He lived then in Essington Staffordshire. He is not on the 1851 so probably died between the two censuses.

I have looked on Free BMD and there are a lot of deaths for Joseph Bate and Joseph Bates in that time span, (it seemed to vary whether they left the s on or off). I think the age at death may be given on the burial index so I would really appreciate it if somebody could look for me.

Have I given enough information?

Ann
Glos

Sam

Sam Report 17 Dec 2007 13:07

Hi Ann

There are no Joseph Bate/s listed between 1841-1851 in Staffordshire.

Sam x

Alan

Alan Report 17 Dec 2007 13:27

Hi Ann,

Unfortunately for these early entries no age is given. Essington is listed under Penkridge registration district and the following came up on FreeBMD.

Deaths Mar 1846 (>99%)
BATE Joseph Penkridge 17 81

Deaths Jun 1855 (>99%)
Bate Joseph Penkridge 6b 22_

I guess it could be either one! The page number for the second one is incomplete so you will need to look at the original image to see what it is (I would suggest doing this anyway as a matter of course to guard against a mistake in the transcript)

Hope this helps

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 14:08

Thank you both, I had picked up the free BMD ones which is why I asked for the burial index. Now I am confused as to why there are no Joseph Bates on the burial index for Staffordshire because for that period in Free BMD there are 16 Joseph Bate and 8 Joseph Bates.

Is the burial index not complete yet do you know?

ann
Glos

Sam

Sam Report 17 Dec 2007 14:11

No, the burial index isn't complete. Some places have fantastic coverage, some not much at all. Essington isn't listed so there is no coverage.

Sam x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 14:15

Had a thought does the NBI only go to 1837? The Hampshire burial Index only goes to then, should have thought of that, sorry.

Ann
Glos

Sam

Sam Report 17 Dec 2007 14:16

Ann, the NBI does cover right up until recent times but as I said, coverage can be patchy with some areas having more entries than others. Some counties have barely any whilst others are almost fully covered.

If you go to this website: http://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php you can click on a particular county and see what areas are covered for what years.

Sam x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 14:18

Thanks, checked that, doesn't look as though the area I want is covered for those years.

Ann
Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 14:20

Insomnia, as the second one is 1855 and I don't think he was alive then, I will go for the first one, many thanks.

Ann
Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2007 14:53

Well i have ordered the 1846 one so fingers crossed. Won't get it until after christmas but at least it is ordered. Thank you for the help.

Ann
Glos