Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any tips on finding living relatives please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Dec 2007 20:31

I am looking for my half-brother, I have full name and date and place of birth but have been unable to trace him anywhere, other than his birth record.
I have left messages on the Looking For board, aswell as the surname board on this site.
I have also tried on Tracesmart, and Looking for a Parent or Child websites, but still nothing.
If anyone has any tips or advice they could share I would be very grateful.
Sam x

Robyn

Robyn Report 17 Dec 2007 20:33

If you could guess which town, you could try 192.

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Dec 2007 20:35

I have no idea which town, and have spent a fortune already on 192 and similar websites.

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Dec 2007 20:40

Hi Samantha,

Assuming his name was not changed you need to look for any relevant marriages about 18 years from his birth year until approx 40 years of age. This takes an age but is worthwhile doing.

Then from all the relevant marriages you need to try and locate the correct one. This will be a process of elimination and will help if you know his father's name.

Hope this helps

Jane

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Dec 2007 20:43

if hes not over 18 ,it ,or had his surname changed,it could prove difficult,,,,or that may not live in England now,

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Dec 2007 20:45

Hi Jane
I have a list of marriages on the Find a Parent or Child website, but not too sure how to go from there. It doesn't look like an official list.
Also, I have his father's name, but how does this help? Sorry if I sound stupid!
Sam x

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Dec 2007 20:47

He is over 18, and has kept his name as he was brought up by his father.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Dec 2007 21:55

Ask for a lookup on Jean's ER thread..........if he has registered to vote, and not elected to withold his details, he may be found on there...........providing he isn't John Smith!

Reg