Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help me please with my ftm or its going in the bin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 17 Dec 2007 21:34

hi i wonder if someone could help me i have ftm 05 and have all my tree and info on there i am about to have it printed and i am checking things over and i have found that when i look at the relationship calculator my brother and his wife are half 4th cousins twice removed. how can this be when i look at the all in one tree for either of them the other partner is not on. i have checked on the individual page and all the info is correct what can i do about this any ideas before i bin it. sorry but really frustrated
linda x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Dec 2007 23:04

Are you sure that there isn't a relationship between them? Half 4th. cousins, twice removed is certainly not a close relationship. The half suggests a second marriage for someone further back in the tree.
I find that FTM is usually quite accurate in their relationship calculations.
Try their parents and see if there's a relationship there, then go back to grandparents.
Margaret

Carter

Carter Report 18 Dec 2007 00:22

Hi Margaret
I have done what you suggested and here is the link although it is a very tenuous one

our great grandma CATHERINE BROOMHEAD married a THOMAS HODGETTS and had 2 children

he disappeared and CATHERINE HODGETTS moved in with a JOHN MOULDING a widower with 2 children.

1891 she was his housekeeper then in the 1901 census she was his wife although i have never found a marriage. they had 2 children one of them being my grandma who was brought up as HENRIETTA MOULDING her marriage cert says HENRIETTA MOULDING father JOHN MOULDING but her birth certificate says HENRIETTA HODGETTS and fathers name left blank.

therefore i dont think CATHERINE ever married JOHN MOULDING but just took his name . tut tut !!

so back to Catherines first husband THOMAS HODGETTS he had several siblings and one of these was GEORGE HODGETTS who married a MARY ALICE ROTHWELL.

MARY ALICE ROTHWELL was my sister in laws 1st cousin twice removed.

so i think this is the reason why my brother and his wife are half 4th cousins twice removed.

but what do i do about it

any ideas anyone

love linda x x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Dec 2007 00:47

So, it looks like grandma Henrietta was a daughter of John Moulding even though John & Catherine never married. Although, I suppose, legally she was a daughter of Thomas Hodgetts because Thomas & Catherine were still legally married?
I don't know what to suggest, Linda.
Glad it's your family, not mine!
Margaret

Ivy

Ivy Report 18 Dec 2007 06:56

Hi Linda,

(edited for the gist only) Going back to your original query, it does sound then as if the tree is fine - since there is that connection that you have identified, and since it is via marriage (twice! - the Catherine and Thomas one, and your brother and sister-in-law's one), are you happy to go ahead and get it printed?

All the best

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Dec 2007 07:02

It sounds as though FTM is doing a grand job at working out relationships....!

Personally, I have never found it to put a foot wrong, any relationship "errors" have always been down to me.

From what I have read here, you don't need to do anything.

ThoGre

ThoGre Report 18 Dec 2007 08:04

Even if this feature happens to work right, FTM still *belongs* in the bin.
Its poor excuse of a GEDCOM is the worst in the business. Download PAF, Legacy or RootsMagic.

Carter

Carter Report 18 Dec 2007 09:46

thanks everyone for your contributions. but now i know what the problem is it doesnt get any easier. i am quite happy for my sister in law to be our half 4th cousin twice removed !!! but i think on our tree my brother would love to see her by his side as his wife. if i look at an all in one tree either for myself or my brother then his wife isnt there and when i look at an all in one tree for my sister in law then my brother - her husband or any of his siblings or parents arent there!!! how can i get them both on one tree ???
any ideas
thanks linda x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Dec 2007 12:16

Does your brother have children? If you do an all in one tree for a child then his wife would show up on that.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Dec 2007 13:37

I have just done a test for one of my wife's second cousins, who is married to her own 7th cousin, and this is the relationship that FTM shows between them when you check with the Relationship Calculator.

However on an All in One Tree they appear side by side and linked together, as you would expect for husband and wife..

I know this doesn't necessarily help but it does point towards FTM rendering the tree correctly for multiple relationships.

A few other thing you could do.

Check very carefully that you have your brother and SIL on the database only once and that they are correctly linked to each other.

Does your All in One show both of them on any of the versions you have run, and if so who are each of them linked to?

Can you please run a descendency tree from the common ancestor and see how that displays your brother and sil? Does this show them side by side or separate?

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 18 Dec 2007 23:05

Linda;
I'm concerned that you said "if i look at an all in one tree either for myself or my brother ... and when i look at an all in one tree for my sister in law ..."

(afaik) There is only one all-in-one tree, that's why it's called 'all-in-one'. How are you getting to look at two different trees?

To have a relationship, two people must have a common ancestor father and/or mother. It is a half- relationship if only one of the ancestor couple are the common ancestor. Such as two children of the same mother and different fathers, or of the same father and different mothers.

In the common ancestor(s) family (-ies) check every child's relationship to his parents. That is found in the 'People' menu, item 'Other Parents'. If you have adopted or step children entered as natural children, that can lead to relationship errors.

If you PM me, you could then send me a copy of your FTM file and I'll see what's going on. I don't want you to ditch FTM.
--
Dave

Carter

Carter Report 19 Dec 2007 11:25

thanks everyone i have pm david and perhaps he can look over my file and give me some suggestions thanks once again linda x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Dec 2007 13:21

Just out of interest - did you get any further with this?

Laura

Laura Report 22 Dec 2007 23:01

I'd like to know if anyone else feels as strongly as ThomasJo about FTM - i've always found it to be very good, especially as it's so reasonably priced!

With regards to this post - I've found it fascinating! Not sure why they aren't showing together as husband and wife though!

Laura

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 23 Dec 2007 00:50

I quite like FTM 2006, although PAF will do one or two things that it won't.

However, people are saying very bad things about FTM 2008.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Dec 2007 10:13

Most of the well known family tree programs do a good job, but it is inevitable that some will be better than others at certain things. In the end it comes down to personal preferences. it's horses for courses.

Ignoring FTM 2008 for the moment, as there aren't too many people out there who have given it a good thrashing as yet, it is interesting to note that FTM tends to come out at or near the top whenever any of the magazines do a test or survey, so it must have something going for it.