Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

royal navy info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 18 Dec 2007 10:59

please can anyone tell me if it is possible to find out when and where someone joined the royal navy ? i have a naval record of my grandfather's dating from 1906 but this doesn't tie in with my mother's info . my grandfather was born in ireland in 1880 and apparantly " ran away to sea " lying about his age to join up , as these dates don't match i was hoping there was a way of finding out the when and where . thankyou , angela . ps i hope i'm on the right board .

Heather

Heather Report 18 Dec 2007 11:20

National Archives have documents on line for the Royal Navy - downloadable for £3.50 if you find your man. (PS dont rely on family legends/memories, they do get altered over the years!)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 18 Dec 2007 11:23

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/Mariners/1999-07/0932686768

Will give you some information

Angela

Angela Report 18 Dec 2007 12:00

thankyou , will take your advice , and yes , heather i'm gradually finding out my mum's memory ain't what it used to be ! ( as if it's not hard enough finding out about irish ancestors !) again thankyou and happy christmas , angela