Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deed poll name change

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DevonViolet

DevonViolet Report 18 Dec 2007 16:24

Please does anyone know where I can check this out. My mother had a copy of my grandfathers name change, but has thrown it away....grrr. As I am just trying anywhere to move on with my family tree, I wonder if this would have any relevent information. Thank you

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Dec 2007 16:40

It could be in the London Gazette, which is name searchable online.

DaveatHove

DaveatHove Report 18 Dec 2007 17:05

I found the details of a name change that was made by deed poll at the National Archives at Kew. The indexes are held by year so you have quite a lot of searching to do if you can't tie it down. After 1903 they are in a series J18.

The record itself was just a legal statement, made up by a solicitor and a witness. The record I found was made in 1933. They changed their name from Bastard to Baxter.

David

DevonViolet

DevonViolet Report 18 Dec 2007 17:09

Thanks Ann
Wow what an interesting site. Unfortunately in a very quick check couldn't find what I am looking for, but will return when I have more time, I can also check out an insolvency too.

DevonViolet

DevonViolet Report 18 Dec 2007 17:15

Thanks Dave
and thanks for letting me know that it is unlikely to help move my forward. The actual name change I think was in the 70's, he passed on the document so that my own father could change his name too, but he chose not to, thank goodness, my schooldays were bad enough without a double barrel name to boot.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Dec 2007 09:19

There is no central register for Deed Polls and depositing a copy of the document is optional, so there is no guarantee that you will find anything.