Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee

Lee Report 19 Dec 2007 14:10

Hello Sleuth's,,,,,I have traced the majority of my ancestors back to as far as the very first Census, i did have no intention of going back any further but have found the bug has bitten me and need to know more.....LOL...

It seems that by what i have been reading i need to look at Parish records for further info on my people,,,,,,so can any of you guys give me some advice on where i can aquire CD's on London Parishes, can you recomend any company that may supply me with these items at a reasonable cost......
Ps i live to far away from London to pay a visit,,.......

Thankyou,,,Lee

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 19 Dec 2007 14:16

You can make a start here:

www.familysearch.org

but not all parishes have been transcribed. The "extracted" entries are pretty reliable, but the "submitted" entries often aren't. In both cases, it's always better to check the original registers yourself.

Unless you have all your ancestors in one or two parishes, you're probably best off going to your nearest LDS centre, where you can order the microfilms you want. It only costs a pound or two, you view them on the centre's viewer, and they hold them for a couple of months for you.

You can look in their catalogue to see if they've filmed the registers you want:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

You'll find the address of your nearest LDS centre here:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Lee

Lee Report 19 Dec 2007 14:33

Thankyou Mary for your advice, i will copy and paste the addies and take a look at them,,,,,,,,,
Thank you again,,,,,Lee