Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry WWI Army Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 19 Dec 2007 14:13

Is there any way of proving if records found definately belong to one of mine?

Here is why I think it is mine but would like to know if there is anyway I can find out for certain...

Name: George Roberts (I know, common name!)

According to the family bible, he was born in November 1895.
According to Ancestry, when he signed in July 1913 he was aged 17 years and 8 months.

His address is given in Knutton, Nr Newcastle, Staffs
His father died in 1911 and address at that time was in Knutton.

His mother according to all censuses is Eliza Roberts (except 1901 - Elizabeth)
Next of kin on Ancestry is Liza Roberts

Occupation matches, as does place of birth.

I have searched and searched for baptisms for all the Roberts family members and can't find them in the church you would expect. This man on Ancestry has ticked his religion as Wesleyan, so that could be why I can't find baptisms in the parish church?

Does anyone think I may have the right records or am I clutching at straws? Also, I can't find another George Roberts in the 1901 census that would fit.

Sam x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 19 Dec 2007 14:20

Sounds very likely you have the right one to me, particularly as there is no other George with a mother of that name. Do the Army records give mothers address? and was George living with her when he enlisted (I assume he wasn't married,as you haven't mentioned a wife). Perhaps you could look at the electoral roll for that address, if he had siblings who you could identify as being his and they were over voting age and still living at home, they should be mentioned.

Sam

Sam Report 19 Dec 2007 14:57

That's a good idea Ann, I'm pretty sure it is him but with it being such a common name, I would like to confirm it if possible. I could always wait for the 1911 census and see where he was living but I don't want to wait that long!

I'm also going to check the parish records for the Wesleyan Churches in the area and see if I can find any baptisms for this family. As I said, so far I haven't found one single Robert's baptism but if they were nonconformists, that could be why!

Sam x