Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did nurses have to be registered in the mid 1800's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 19 Dec 2007 22:27

If not, how would I find out?
Alice

Heather

Heather Report 19 Dec 2007 22:36

Nope I dont believe they did - virtually anyone could call themselves a nurse at that time.The job only became professional in the early decades of the 1900s.

If you gave more specific detail about this person may be people could help more.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Dec 2007 22:37

I don't think they did. Have a look at this web page as it gives details of the start of registration for nurses:-

http://www.r-bna.com/registration.asp

It's always worth using Google. I just searched on....Registration of Nurses+history.

Kath. x

DevonViolet

DevonViolet Report 19 Dec 2007 22:37

As far as I am aware, a registered nurse is a more recent qualification. Your request interested me, being a nurse myself, having googled the first nurse registered was in 1902 and was from New Zealand.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Dec 2007 22:38

If you check on the history of nursing, apparently the roll didnt start to 1916:

http://www.hud.ac.uk/hhs/departments/nursing/wyhon/uk_national_history.htm

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 19 Dec 2007 22:42

I have been chasing an ancestor Susannah Rosebrook who was a nurse in the 1860s - 1880s
- maybe a bit before. It interested me that she was working in Hackney - obviously nursing an elderly lady- when the 1871 census was taken.
Just thought it may be a way of finding out more about her.
It is interesting that she travelled away from her family in Stansted - seems to me quite a way ,although she did have sons living in london.
Thanks Alice