Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viewing Multiple Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Dec 2007 16:27

Hi All

I have been given a link by another member and would like to add the details to my tree by copying and pasting. The only issue I have is that I cannot view two trees at once. one look at another it covers the other. Anyone found a solution to this?

Regards
Andy

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 20 Dec 2007 16:51

Andrew copying someone else's tree is not a good idea, for a start, how do you know that this other person's info is correct? Also, rarely a week goes by without someone starting a thread to complain that their tree has been copied. It would be a better idea just to use this other person's tree a guide only.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Dec 2007 17:07

I don't see how you can derive any satisfaction from copying unchecked data from someone else's tree.
Much more rewarding to do the research yourself, based, if you like, on the other person's info.......

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 20 Dec 2007 22:48

Hello Andrew,
Wise words given in the replies above. Someone copied my tree but unfortunately for them, I have since found a massive error in my tree which invalidates a large section of it.

Paul

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 20 Dec 2007 23:12

Andy, it is possible to have 2 trees up together to view, and I do this frequently to check information.

But I have to agree with everyone else I never C & P as I have frequently found serious errors. Contacts info can certainly be a help and a pointer in the right direction but you simply cannot assume that it is correct. Even though it is tempting and also exciting to discover loads of new entries, please please check out each one thoroughly so that you have an authenticated source for every entry and of course that they are actually connected to your family.

Someone copied my tree because I have a Henry G on it. I was aware of another Henry G born same county (but different town), same month, same year but with different parents. This person has now connected to my tree and she should be connected to the other Henry. If she had obtained a birth cert she would have realized her mistake. Even after telling her about the other Henry she still hasn´t corrected her tree, obviously she likes the idea that my line goes back to 1500! Good luck Andy,

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Dec 2007 06:48

See "Two Trees" thread on the General Board. I have nudged for you.