Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding Marriage Cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 20 Dec 2007 17:37

can anyone advise me on how to find a marriage cert for my paternal grandmother,The only info I have is her name Mary Whittle formerly Williams on my fathers birth cert,the fathers name is not entered because I believe Mr Whittle was not his father.Without Mr Whittle's first name how can I trace her back,

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Dec 2007 17:56

Some idea of when would be useful.

Father born when and where?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 20 Dec 2007 17:58

Glitter Baby beat me to it! When was your father born? Were there any older siblings?

Pete

Pete Report 20 Dec 2007 17:58

also on Trying to find board where there are more responses

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Dec 2007 17:58

what years are you looking at.

She must have married a Mr Whittle even tho he may not be the father. Without knowing who is father was you cant go back on the paternal siside but you should be able to find the Whittle Williams marriage

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 20 Dec 2007 23:12

thanks everyone for the response my father owen Kaye whittle was born in 1918 in Blackburn,I have found several Williams/Whittle marriages but not sure which one could be Granny,some of the difficulties are that she was a bigamist at some point possibly with a Cromwell Perry...or was it a Mr Willliams.I believe she did have other children In Lancs but know nothing of them.She left her body to medical research not sure which name she used so I have not been able to trace her through a death cert I dont know when she died only that it was in Plymouth,or her birth date.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 21 Dec 2007 00:01

OK, lets stick to the Tips Board.

Here's the Perry marriage found by people on the 'Trying to Find'.

Marriages Sep 1925 (88%)
Cullinane Patrick Dean Devonport 5b 772
Dean Olive Cullinane Devonport 5b 772
Perry Cromwell Whittle Devonport 5b 772
Whittle Mary Perry Devonport 5b 772

Is it a family story that she was a bigamist with Cromwell Perry, or is that just a shot in the dark?

Ozi.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 21 Dec 2007 00:06

Also from 'Trying to Find'.

Was Mr Whittle's first name Isaac?

if so there is an interesting marriage in 1909 on the Lancs BMD website:

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1909
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference

WHITTLE Isaac WILLIAMS Mary Ann Blackburn Register Office or Registrar Attended Blackburn RM/178/50

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 21 Dec 2007 00:13

I wonder if Isaac's name has been left out?

Marriages Dec 1909
CLANFORD Sidney Blackburn 8e 755
WALKDEN Sarah Blackburn 8e 755
Williams Mary Ann Blackburn 8e 755

Yes, Isaac is on the image. He just hasn't been transcribed yet.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 21 Dec 2007 19:45

hello everyone thanks again for the info,yes Mary Ann was a bigamist the family story refers to the fact that she went to court the judge saying she was more sinned against than a sinner,let her off lightly.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Dec 2007 19:50

Looks like Cromwell Perry was married before too.

Marriages Jun 1905
Perry Cromwell Devonport 5b 709
LUGG Henrietta Devonport 5b 709

Rose

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 21 Dec 2007 20:32

thanks portland Rose yes he was a widower..cromwell that is..I think the only way forward is to somehow try and find a record of her death which I do know was in Plymouth but not the year and which name she was using at the time....

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Dec 2007 23:10

It would be helpful to have a copy of the 1925 marriage cert.
That would hopefully give the name of Mary's father, his occupation and her age so that you might be able to find the family in a census.

Gwyn

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 22 Dec 2007 12:18

Thanks Gwyn I will order a cert...hopefully it will show details