Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which do you think it is? PLEASE HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 20 Dec 2007 21:08

My Weeks family are causing trouble again. I went to Truro records office today but still no further with this line!

In 1901 I have Louisa Weeks (down as head, but married) living in Camborn with her daughters Ethel and Hilda. Her sons and husband are missing. (We think they are in South Africa possibly as this is where her husband died, after owning a hotel out there)

I think this is Joseph's brother in 1901
Thomas 1873
Annie 1875
Ethel M 1897
Norman S 1900
Thomas A 1895
All born Camborne

1891 Camborne
William Weeks 1m
James Arthur 1889
Joseph 1870
Louisa 1872
Joseph's wife Louisa is nee Harris.

Joseph's sister Annie Jane married Samuel Trathen in Dec 1899 and I can find her on the 1901 census.

1881 Treswithian Downs, Camborne
Joseph Weeks 1846 Gwinear ag lab
Annie Jane 1872 Camborne
Eliza Ellen 1877 Camborne
Elizabeth Mary 1874 Camborne
Francis John 1880 Camborne
Joseph Henry 1870 Gwithian
Sarah Ann 1849 Camborne
Thomas James 1876 Camborne

1871 - there is no Joseph, Sarah and Joseph on the census! I've tried many variations of the name but cannot find them. Sarah is nee Hocking and I think her father is Francis - I think I have found that family in 1861...

1861 - there are 3 possible Joseph Weeks and 3 Joseph Wicks - which do you think is most likely?
Weeks
1) b1836 St Gluvias, head, married to Ann, living in Kenwyn
2) b1808 Stithians, living Redruth, married to Mary Ann
3) b1835 Gwennap, son, living Redruth with parents Joseph and Mary Ann

WICKS
4) b1844 Camborne, parents are down as Wearn and Mary Jany but I think he's actually their lodger/servant.
5) b 1839 Wendron to Nathaniel and Alice
6) Joseph Henry b1834 with wife Jane and son Joseph Henry b1860 Tywardreath

I'm thinking either 3 or 4 but am not sure...
I think his father's name is also Joseph, I'm trying to remember where I've placed his and Sarah's marriage certificate, but am certain the father's name is Joseph too....

Argh! Any help gratefully received!

Laura

Laura

Laura Report 20 Dec 2007 21:14

Well, not sure it can be number 3 after all. The family are down as Wicks in 1851 and in 1871 he's still living with his family rather than married to Sarah Ann Hocking.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Laura

Laura Report 20 Dec 2007 21:14

In 1851There is a Joseph Weeks b1847 Probus with his mum Elizabeth and gran Margaret Waks... could that be him maybe?

Laura

Laura Report 20 Dec 2007 22:37

but i can't seem to find her later on! How frustrating!

Laura

Laura Report 21 Dec 2007 21:59

anybody? somebody? Pleeeeeeease help!

Laura

Laura Report 21 Dec 2007 23:20

That's them in 1871, thanks Libby

Laura
x

Laura

Laura Report 22 Dec 2007 12:39

Found out yesterday when visiting family that the Weeks family (Joseph, sons etc) did go out to South Africa where they owned a hotel. My great grandfather James Arthur came back and stayed in Exeter (?) with an aunt to go to art college there (Calloway family?). Joseph Henry Weeks actually died in Fordsburg, South Africa after the hotel business went bust etc. Any ideas how I could chase this side of thigns up? Maybe they were out there where there are gaps in census etc...

Laura