Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Convent relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Dec 2007 22:25

Trying again to find out if it is possible to trace the death records of a great aunt who went into a convent. I know her birth name and date, (plus family nickname) but that is all.
Any ideas, please?
Margaret

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 20 Dec 2007 22:36

Hi
When you say went into a convent do you mean to take up a life as a nun (sister). If so, if you know the denomination it should be possible to write to the Mother General at the Mother House for details. Googling should help you trace the Mother House. Things have changed over the years and I'm not sure of what things are called any more. The Mother General used to be the person in overall charge of all the nuns in the Order, the Mother House being the place (generally convent) where she resided.
Paul

Joan

Joan Report 21 Dec 2007 09:05

Margaret
As Paul says. contacting the religious order would be the surest way.
But, her death would be recorded in the usual way under her own name, so should be on freebmd or ancestry complete recordsif England and wales. If her name is fairly uncommon, you might be lucky. Her date of birth will match with age at death.
Good luck
Joan

Angela

Angela Report 21 Dec 2007 13:56

You will probably find that the Order has an Archivist. When I contacted the Sisters of Charity about someone I was referred to their Archivist who produced photocopies and additional information and was extaordinarily helpful.
Angela