Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM and Kaspersky

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 21 Dec 2007 16:25

Hi

I have bought a copy of FTM, and want to start the 30 days free trial of Ancestry. I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0

I have no problem in accessing any site (including Ancestry) via my IE7 web browser, but when trying to use the link from FTM, to either register the program, or sign up for the trial, I get a message telling me that FTM is unable to connect to the server, as it appears my system is behind a firewall.

I have gone into Kaspersky, and allowed FTM access - but it still will not connect.

Please can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Heather

Heather Report 21 Dec 2007 17:02

Steve, there has been a problem with FTMs registration server - I and some others on FTF have spent weeks trying to get back on after we have crashed our puters and reinstalled.

Have another go because it was up and running yesterday AT LAST. I seem to remember the very first time - years ago when I tried to access my own home page with FTM I had to turn off my firewall and then it was ok but that was the only time Ive ever done it as your firewall should ask and then recognise that you allow it.

If you dont get anywhere - telephone them on the free fone number (look at help and contact on your program) - usually they sort you out on the phone :)

Steve

Steve Report 21 Dec 2007 17:10

Thanks for the advice

I was able to get connected by reducing the security level. Registered FTM OK, and then signed up to get the free 30 days that (supposedly) came with the program - only to be told I had already had a free trial (I did - two years ago), How can they sell a program and promise that it comes with 30 days free trial, and then say you can't have it. Very annoying.

And an update on the above...

Phoned the Ancestry phone no., and a very helpful person said "that happens sometimes - I'll fix it for you. You should have access in a couple of hours".

Excellent service - would give him a 5 star rating!

Heather

Heather Report 21 Dec 2007 17:40

Steve email them or even better phone them - they are very customer orientated and always very helpful - Im sure they will allow it.