Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who's the father?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 22 Dec 2007 09:51

On 1841 census I have Jonathan Holmes 1836 with brother George 1839 and mother Mary in Armitage Staffs. On IGI,I believe I have found their christenings in Kings Bromley,a village near to Armitage,showing parents Chales and Mary.Sent for birth cert of George again showing parents Charles and Mary. So far so good! Sent for marriage cert of Jonathan which shows his father as John.Is this a mistake on the marriage cert do you reckon or am I barking up the wrong tree? Would appreciate any help please Linda

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 22 Dec 2007 10:04

Have you looked at Kings Bromley in 1841 to rule out that there is another family of the same name there?

Have you followed Charles and Mary down the censuses to make sure that Charles was still alive when Jonathan married? Sometimes if a father died early and the mother remarried, the step fathers name can be added to the marriage certificate in mistake

Linda

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 10:06

Have you found the marriage of Mary and Charles? May be Jonathan had a different father/was illegitimate.

It may be you have found another family on IGI with coincidentally the same names.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Dec 2007 10:13

Hi Linda,Mary is shown as a pauper in 1841 ,so I'm assuming her husband was dead.Jonathan and George are both apprentices in Staffs in 1851 so assuming again that Mary had died as I can't find her on 1851.Have tried the other census but unable to find her.Have found a possible death for her in last quarter of 1841 so may have to send for that Thanks for your time Linda

Linda

Linda Report 22 Dec 2007 10:15

Hi Heather,yes I believe I have the marriage of Charles to Mary Twigg 1834 in Kings Bromley.He was previously married to Ann Twigg 1830 presumably Mary's sister.Linda

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 22 Dec 2007 10:56

These are the only two burial dates on the NBI discs for the surname Holmes
8 Jun 1814 Ann HOLMES 63 Staffs Armitage, St John the Baptist
9 Jan 1795 John HOLMES Staffs Armitage, St John the Baptist

The burials for that church on the discs go up to 1837 at least, but there is no Mary. I did a general search in Staffs for Mary 1845 plus or minus 5 years, but it didn't give any results

Linda

Linda

Linda Report 22 Dec 2007 11:37

Thank you Linda for looking.I have only just started researching this family.Looks like I've come to a halt before Ive even got started! Linda

Linda

Linda Report 27 Dec 2007 10:26

I am still trying to puzzle this one out.Anyone else have any suggestions please.Linda