Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any military historians out there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 22 Dec 2007 11:54

Can anyone possibly tell me if the 1st. Regiment of Foot Guards were serving around the Cadiz area circa 1811/1812 during the Peninsular War. I understand this regiment eventually became the Grenadier Guards. I have looked and failed to find an answer.

According to the 1851 census Ref.HO107,2383,678,14, (& also later ones) Elizabeth Isley Kelly (nee Robinson) was born in "Isley Blou, Spain" British parents c1812. Her father (who was living at the same address) states he had served in the "1st Regiment of Foot Guards". So I assume Elizabeth was born while her Father was serving in the army in Spain.

Looking at the way the enumerator wrote down the entries, the "n" could be a "u" and the "B" could be a "D". So Isley Blou could well be Isle de Leon. Isley = Isle & D'lon = Leon.

Isle de Leon is very close to Cadiz.

This birthplace has baffled me (and many others!) for years.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 12:03

Stu, have a look at this website:

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/lists/bargxref.htm

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 22 Dec 2007 12:54

Thankyou Heather,

I have looked at this web-site before but never found an answer to the problem. However this time I can see and address I am going to write to.

Thanks.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 15:05

Stu, you can see the different regiments postings on that site - its a bit of a performance but I looked up OHs GGFx2 on there to find why he had some kids born Ireland.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 15:10

Does this help?

The 1st Guards returned to Spain in 1810 where they found themselves besieged in Cadiz. The composite brigade was commanded by Major-General Dilkes of the 3rd Guards. There were 6 companies of the 2nd Battalion and 3 companies each from the other two Guards regiments. On the 5th March 1811 they, with some Spanish troops, were sent up the coast to attack Victor's army. They were separated from the Spanish so had to fight two French Divisions alone. They had just completed a 15 hour march but managed to defeat a force of cavalry and infantry from a strong defensive position. The attack was headed by the 1st Guards and cost them a third of their number after an hour and a half of bitter fighting.
San Sebastian
San Sebastian
When the two year siege of Cadiz was lifted the Brigade made their way to join a further influx of Guards who were wintering at Cuidad Rodrigo. They were the 1st Battalion of the 1st Guards. Wellesley, now the Duke of Wellington was in command of the army and formed two Guards Brigades: 1st Brigade under Maj-Gen Howard of the Coldstream Guards to consist of 1st and 3rd Battalion 1st Guards and the composite battalion of Coldstream and 3rd Guards. 2nd Brigade under Maj-Gen the Hon E Stopford of the 3rd Guards, to consist of the 1st Battalions of the Coldstream and 3rd Guards. The army moved north to drive the French from Spain. There was a 3 month delay while they besieged San Sebastian.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:VEK158myyc8J:www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/1stfoot.htm+1st+Regiment+of+Foot+guards+Cadiz&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 15:15

1808 - 32nd at Gibraltar, Sicily, Cadiz. Landed at Mondego Bay in portugal. Rolica - 17th August, Vimiera - 21st August.

1809 - 32nd at Corunna - 16th February then returned to England. Walcheren Expedition. 46th capture Island of Martinique.

1810 - 32nd at Portsmouth, Hailsham, Bexhill, Guernsey. 46th in Expedition against Island of Guadaloupe.

1811 - 32nd at Lisbon. Joined Wellington's Army. 46th at Liverpool, Markced to Kingsbridge.

1812 - 32nd at Salamanca - 22nd July. Siege of Burgos. Retreat on Portugal. 46th at Jersey.

1813- 32nd in Advance through Spain. At Pyrenees - 28th July, Nivelle - 10th November, Nive - 12th December. 46th at Isle of Wight.

1814 - 32nd at Orthes - 27th February. Peninsula. Bordeaux. Ireland. Middleton. Fermoy. Cork. 46th to New South Wales.

1815 - 32nd at Netherlands. Brussels. Quartre Bras - 16th June and Waterloo - 18th June. The 32nd, under Lieutenant-Colonel John Hicks, were placed in General James Kempt's Brigade in Sir Thomas Picton's Fifth Division. Paris.

1816 - 32nd at Sheernes, Channel Islands, Portsmouth.

1817 - 32nd to Ionian Islands.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 15:24

Sorry, but I cant see her in the 1851 - can you tell me where she was and who with please?

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 15:26

OK, got her, under Robinson not Kelly!

Heather

Heather Report 22 Dec 2007 15:32

I cant edit on here - so I have to keep adding new posts - sorry - interesting that she has a middle name Isley though isnt it!? Looks like the second word begins with a D to me.