Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hard drive question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Dec 2007 14:41

My son is telling me to get a hard drive to back all my photos and family history stuff plus gedcom up can you please tell me what size I need to get I have hundreds of photos on computer I also would like a new computer in new year can I back up the stuff on my old computer and put it on my new one

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 24 Dec 2007 14:46

You can buy an external hard drive to store stuff on. I did this to transfer all my humongous work archives to my new computer last year -- copy it all first to the external hard drive, then suck it all up onto the new computer. So you could do that, and then back up regularly onto the external drive -- it comes with software that bugs you to do that when you turn on the computer etc.

Just go to a computer supply store and find one in a package. I think I paid about $70 in Canada for it a couple of years ago, which would be about 35 pounds. Whichever one you get will have huge storage capacity on it, so you probably don't have to worry about picking and choosing on that basis.

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Dec 2007 14:51

Thanks for that Kathryn

Alistair

Alistair Report 24 Dec 2007 15:30

If you work out the total size of your files, you can buy a data stick (4Gb, for example) to store or transfer your data. About £16.

These data sticks, by the way, are what the NHS uses to transfer all the "lost" details of patients from place to place. Mystery solved.....the staff are nicking them once the transfer is done.

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 24 Dec 2007 15:40

Hi,
If your files are truly important and they are then do not rely totally on one backup. Save a copy on disk and give to a family friend or relative to look after. Should you be unfortunate to suffer fire, theft or just plain hard luck when the backup fails (which has happened to me) it is nice to know that there is at least one copy put away nice and safe.
Paul

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Dec 2007 16:40

Thankyou for your help
Sue

Merry Christmas to you all....x