Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family tree maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 26 Dec 2007 14:33

Ive not long been doing my family history,l have seen family tree maker advertised (3editions)would this be a help to me?any advise would be much appreciated.
Renee B

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 26 Dec 2007 16:44

There are different versions of the programme.

FTM 2005
FTM 2006
FTM 2008

In addition there are "standard" and "de-luxe" versions of each programme.

The "de-luxe" ones have extra discs with parish records but unless you are very lucky it is doubtful the extra money involved would yield any results, better to stick with the "standard" versions.

The best versions are the 2005 and 2006 (much cheaper than 2008 too).

What an FT programme would do is allow you to get everything in one place, allow you to access the info without an internet connection and add notes/sources/photographs/census images/certificates etc all in one programme, PLUS create a backup copy that you can keep separate to your pc, this is important because any pc probs can mean you lose lots of data.

Oh and FTM allows you to have a free website with images, trees displayed, books and reports added and link the whole thing to google searches. A few rellies have stumbled across mine and been in touch over the last two years.

Glen

Irene

Irene Report 26 Dec 2007 19:15

thanks so much libby,just the sort of thing l wanted to know,the £10 95 one seems right to start me off.

Renee

Irene

Irene Report 26 Dec 2007 19:57

thanks glen for your advice,lve decided to get the 2006 standard model,l must admit when l first heard of the ftm l thought it had some records on it,some census etc(.l was looking at the £59.00 version )but of course now l realise l was stupid. l,m not sure wether to subscribe to ancestery ,co,uk.but for how long?renee

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 26 Dec 2007 22:42

I concur wholeheartedly with Libby. My subscription to Ancestry is the best money I have ever spent.

Should mention that I use FTM 2005 Delixe. Excellent piece of software. I have heard some very scathing remarks though about FTM 2008.

Linda