Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MISSING BIRTHS AND DEATHS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 26 Dec 2007 21:20

My husband bought me a "Tracing a family tree book" for christmas and I thought I would pass on this bit of information as It was new to me and thought it might help others.

This is an example of what you would find if you type "unknown" in FREEBMD, for example: Births Mar 1876

Unknown James Mckenna S.Shields 10a 771
Unknown John Wednesday Pembroke 11a 954
Unknown Joseph Chapel Hayfield 7b 812
Unknown Sarah Saturday Pembroke 11a 954
Unknown Sidney Seymour Birkenhead 8a 522

I think with some of the second names, you could work out the fathers or some idea of parentage.

Too many unknown deaths to list for this year and quarter.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Dec 2007 00:34

I've just looked through births of Unknowns - so sad. I assume a lot of these were foundlings, or orphans or ... not sure but what on earth happened to them all? Can they all have died? I tried searching Unknown for surname under deaths but it won't display on FreeBMD as says there are too many unless I limit the years. But were all foundlings named, registered and then buried as Unknown?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Dec 2007 00:39

Just searched deaths of Unknowns for 1900 to 1901 - so many of them - a lot of estimated ages. Lots of ages of 0 as well so that may explain some of the births.

When I've been going through the burial registers on places like Cityark I've come across mention of burials of "unknown" people - so I assume these are much the same - makes me feel very sad to see the sheer number of people registered.

Jill

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Dec 2007 05:47

It's interesting. A lot of the unknown births have locations as the middle name. Probably a reference to where they were found.

Births Mar 1900
Unknown Annie Richmond W. Derby 8b 547
Unknown Charles Hanover St. Olave 1d 204
Unknown Henrietta Heath Hampstead 1a 654
Unknown Jemima Crescent Marylebone 1a 537
Unknown Lee Millfields Hackney 1b 452
Unknown Olive Victoria St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 456

Rose

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 27 Dec 2007 08:19

Take a look at Christchurch 2b 517 March quarter 1858. There is a Moses Found. Was the little lad abandoned in a basket in or by the river?
It really is so saddening.