Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Transferring data from the NBI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jay

Jay Report 26 Dec 2007 22:33

Hi,
I saved some records from the NBI that could be family burials and saved them to My Documents but now I can`t open them. Is it still possible to use the NBI viewer in some way to access them now they`re in a document as data rather than on CD or isn`t that possible?
There must be a better way to transfer the records I want so I can view them later so which is the best way to do it ? I want to be able to put them in an Excel database afterwards.
Jay

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Dec 2007 22:42

I am not sure what you have done, but the way I take them off, is on the list of search results, I tag the ones I want by putting the red diamond next to them. I then click on the 5th icon along, which says "Copy to clipboard, tagged records only" when you hover over it.
Nothing seems to happen ,but if you then open up something like word and do edit, paste, the list appears and you can save it.
I have never tried putting them into Excel

Linda

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Dec 2007 22:45

I have just tried Excel and it works really well. having copied them to the clip board on the NBI disc as above, I opened Excel right clicked on the first cell and did paste. it then put all the information in seperate cells

Linda

Jay

Jay Report 26 Dec 2007 22:51

Hi Linda,
Really grateful - I should get through the list much quicker now.. Can I tag all the ones I want and then paste as a list or will I need to tag and paste each one individually ? Jay

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 26 Dec 2007 22:58

On the search results either tag the whole lot in one go, or go down the list clicking next to the ones you want.Once you have the red diamonds, just click on the clip board symbol and when you paste them into excel the whole lot moves in one go, but drops nicely into individual cells. you don't need to do them one record at a time

Jay

Jay Report 26 Dec 2007 23:01

Brilliant and thanks again. Jay