Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anybody know Wellington, NZ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 26 Dec 2007 23:31

I've managed to identify the site of my ancestor Thomas Bluett's Lithographic Printing Office in Wellington in 1841. It's in a plot of land bounded on the West by numbers 19 to 85 The Terrace (facing a big hospital), on the South by Farmers Lane, on the East by part of Lambton Quay and on the north by an imaginary line from Bolton Street to Ballance Street.

As I want to write a few words describing this site for my family history I wonder if anybody could advise me what to say about the place as it is now. I know that an earthquake in 1855 caused the shoreline to change, and that in 1841 Lambton Quay was at the waterline. So how would you describe this area? Is it the business district of Wellington?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Dec 2007 23:51

I don't know New Zealand, but have you put the address into Google Maps? The area looks built up now.

Kath. x

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 26 Dec 2007 23:57

Yes Kathleen. I've also viewed a satellite image.

When Thomas arrived, settlement had only just begun and it was officially named a colony the following month.

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 27 Dec 2007 01:10

As far as I can make out, the building on this site (on the terrace side) is Greenock House at no39. Apart from being the HQ of the NZ SIS(!!) it is an office block. Have a look at http://www.propertylook(.)co(.)nz/listing/default.asp?lk=96483

Lambton Quay is mostly shops, but the end you are interested in has some office buildings as well. Parliament is just down the road.

Street numbers in the Terrace seem to be the same - try doing a google search on 85 The Terrace, Wellington etc (odd nos only)- they don't all come up - mostly office blocks , some with restaurants/bars on ground level. Numbers in Lambton Quay look like 86-172 in the block you are interested in. Farmers Lane is still there, the block is bisected by Masons Lane which runs between the Terrace and Lambton Quay.

Also http://www.wellington(.)govt(.)nz/picturegallery/display-image.php?g=7&i=3

Remove brackets from addresses.

Try contacting Wellington Council info@wcc(.)govt(.)nz they may be able to help with a contact or current pictures

Peter (in Auckland)

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 27 Dec 2007 01:21

Hi Paul
Was visiting Wellington earlier this year in March and the areas you have named are mostly commercial and Shopping areas.
Lambton Quay is a big shopping area.
Farmers lane also shopping.
Bolton street and The terrace are dominated by the motorway. Bolton street has the oldest cemetary dating back to 1840.
Lambton Quay is near the Train station and bus station with easy access to lambton Harbour and the Ferry terminal.
I was only there for a short while and found it to be a vibrant, very modern city.
I am sure Kiwis will tell you more than I can.
Hope this helps.
If you go on www.wellington.govt.nz it will give you a lot of info.
Regards
Carol

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 27 Dec 2007 06:58

Wow Carol! You say the Bolton Street Cemetery dates back to 1840... Thomas's father William remained in Wellington when Thomas left for Sydney in 1842.... he's on a list of people eligible for jury service in 1847. As Thomas is recorded as asking for a Catholic priest when he died, I assume the family was Catholic, so if the Bolton Street cemetery took Catholics maybe that's where he's buried.

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 27 Dec 2007 08:36

Catholics more likely in the Mount Street Cemetery

Peter