Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tacing my mother's birth parents.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penelope

Penelope Report 27 Dec 2007 12:25

My mother died in April this year, age 86. We have discovered a 'Certified copy of an Entry in the Adopted Children Register'. Given at the General Register Office Somerset House, London, application number A.C.R.19794. It gives the date of entry, 9th Jan. 1935, Number of entry, 32204. We were unaware of this, Mum never talked about it. Her date of birth is 28th September 1920, so she was adopted aged 15. We knew her date of birth and have photos of her with Ernest and Winifred Day, her adopted parents, when she was just a toddler. She always spoke of them as her mother and father, and their two sons, born later, were looked on as brothers - we always thought they were, though there is no family resemblance physically. My question is, can we find out who Mum's birth parents were, or at least her birth mother. It seems likely that she was illegitimate. The only family information we have been able to find is that Winifred and Ernest adopted the baby of Winifred's friend, when they had only been married a few months themselves and had no children of their own. It seems a very selfless act. What is the possibility of tracing any further information from the adoption certificate? At the moment this side of my family tree has become something of a myth.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Penny Down.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Dec 2007 12:42

Is it possible that they were her natural parents...or that she was the child of at least one of them...Would the ages be right?

Maybe they waited until they were married before Ernest could adopt Winifred's child.?

I would imagine that as your mother was 15, her birth registration would have the same first names. Have you checked under the maiden name of Winifred....which would be the same as on the mmn.registrations for her brothers.

Gwyn

Penelope

Penelope Report 27 Dec 2007 12:50

That's an interesting thought - thanks. I'll follow it up.

Penny.