Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Dec 2007 18:14

Hi

Could anyone tell me are there any more details from 1841 on other sites.......eg Findmypast...... than the ones given on Ancestry, and is it possible to find entries for all years on other sites that Ancestry don`t seem to have, the problem being I have various rellies who are "missing" from certain census`s, and I wondered if I`d be able to find them elsewhere? I am aware that some census papers were ruined/destroyed at some point, but am not sure if this would include my "missing" people.

Thanks in advance
Nicky

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Dec 2007 18:25

Hi Nicky,

If you post some names I can have a look on Find my Past for you.

Linda

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 27 Dec 2007 18:32

The 1841 census on other sites wont hold any more information, the information recorded was very limited.
With regard to "missing" relatives, it could be transcription error and they may be on other sites, or they may actually be missed from the pages or the pages actually damaged.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Dec 2007 18:50

Linda ,

Thats very kind of you....thank you ...... here goes:

Philadelphia Copper born c1886 in Kent probably Brenchley. Year of birth based on details on 1841 census, think I have her death in 1855, so I can`t find her on 1851. In 1841 she is listed with husband/brother? William born c1876, they are in Brenchley at that time.

Charles Furniss/Furness missing in 1851, he was born in Derby Derbyshire 1827 and married Elizabeth Mary ann Quick in 1848 in Liverpool. In 1861 he is in Cheadle Moseley in cheshire with wife Elizabeth and sister Jane.... I have him in all other census.

William Bartlett born c1807 St Margarets Westminster can`t find him in 1841..... he wasn`t married then and the family home was Palace Street Westminster, both his parents died before 1841. I have him in all other censuss.

Theres 3 to be getting on with.... thank you so much for your kind offer.

Nicky

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Dec 2007 18:53

Keith,
So as I thought the info given was very limited, its sooooooo.......... frustrating.

Linda has kindly offered to look on findmypast for me, so fingers crossed she comes up with something.

Nicky

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Dec 2007 19:47

Hi Nicky,

Just off to have a look for you

Linda

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Dec 2007 20:07

1851 isn't on FMP but I found Philadelphia on Ancestry.
Lovely bit of mistranscription

Off to have a look for the others

Name: Phillidelphein Capper
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1781
Relation: Mother-in-law
Where born: Brenchley, Kent, England

Civil Parish: Brenchley
County/Island: Kent

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Tunbridge
Sub-registration district: Tunbridge
ED, institution, or vessel: 2a
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 65
Household Members: Name Age
Phillidelphein Capper 70
Alfred Eagles 2
Charlotte Eagles 10
Emma Eagles 7
James Eagles 38
Sophia Eagles 34

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1615; Folio: 406; Page: 17; GSU roll: 193516.

Here is the marriage of her daughter Sophia to James Eagles

Marriages Jun 1839 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COPPER Sophia Tunbridge 5 525
CROWHURST Sarah Tonbridge 5 525
EAGLES James Tunbridge 5 525
ROBBERTS Edward Tonbridge 5 525

Just going to look for the others

Linda

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Dec 2007 21:13

Linda,

Thanks for that, youv`e given me another member of the Copper clan in Sophia...... gradually pieceing them all together, I couldn`t find Philadelpia at all......love the transcribing.....lol

thanks again
Nicky

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Dec 2007 21:36

Still looking for the others

Linda

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Dec 2007 21:48

Did you see just above Philadelphia on 1841 another family named Copper?

Looks like it could be their son?

1841 census - household transcription
Person: COPPER, Phillip
Address: Crittenden, Brenchley

:

Name Sex Age Profession/Occupation Where Born Original
census

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COPPER, William M 40 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Ann F 40 Kent VIEW
COPPER, William M 15 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Jesse M 13 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Eli M 11 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Obed M 9 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Phillip M 7 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Emma F 5 Kent VIEW
COPPER, Albert M 1 Kent VIEW

Linda

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Dec 2007 21:56

Linda,
Yes I have the above family...Philip is my gr gr grandfather, and then William is his father and i`m then trying to find out if Philadelphia and William are Williams parents, the dates seem to be tying in....these records pre 1837 are such a pain arn`t they.....I`ve checked the LDS site tonight and they have Brenchley records to order in to veiw, so am hopefully going to my local office tommorow.....hoping its not shut for a xmas as its only open for 2 hours 3 times a week. I have Philip and all his family on all census. I have williams death record in 1849 and now I know Philadelphia is recorded as a Widow in 1851 of an Ag Lab. I`m sure i`m on the correct trail, will be ordering both death certs. to confirm, hopefully one of their children will be the informant to tie it all in.

thanks for letting me know anyway.
Nicky

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Dec 2007 22:02

Good Luck,

I'll have another look for the others tomorrow

Linda

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Dec 2007 23:13

Nicky, when you get back another generation keep in mind that the BVRI discs have coverage of Brenchley, Kent and there are a lot of Coppers. Unfortunately the coverage ends in 1771 for christenings and 1754 for marriages.
I'd be happy to do look-ups, just give a shout.
Margaret

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 27 Dec 2007 23:23

Linda and Margaret,

Thank you so much for your kind offers of help, I have been on Familysearch .org tonight armed with my new info, but it keeps cutting out when I click on the names to get further info......have manged to print some of it off though.

Thanks again

Nicky