Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best sites to use

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 28 Dec 2007 16:34

Other than this one of course, which are the best sites to use? I've looked at ancestry.co.uk and thegenealogist.co.uk and they seem good, but wondered if anybody could recommend any others. What about prices, which site is the best value? I've got as far as I can now without joining up to a site, so I'm curious as to what sites you all use and what recommendations you can give.

Cheers,
Sharon x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Dec 2007 16:36

Ancestry every time.........and don't, whatever you do, buy any GR units.

Reg

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 28 Dec 2007 16:44

Hi Sharon,

Although I don't have Ancestry myself as most of my family are Scottish therefore I have to use Scotlands People, Reggie is correct Ancestry is the best by far, he is also correct about GR credits, don't buy them.

Betty

Sharon

Sharon Report 28 Dec 2007 16:47

Whats wrong with GR credits?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 28 Dec 2007 16:50

Hi Sharon,

They work out far, far, more expensive in the long run than an Ancesty subscription.

Betty

Sharon

Sharon Report 28 Dec 2007 16:55

Ok, thanks for that... and I can get 14 days free trial with ancestry! Even better value ;-)
xx

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 28 Dec 2007 17:21

There is also findmypast.com, but it doesn't have all the censuses yet, so at present, Ancestry is definitely the best value. However, fmp does have some passenger lists that Ancestry doesn't.

It's also worth buying a few credits on familyhistoryonline.net , which can be useful for finding parish records, especially burials (I believe the burial records on that site are based on the NBI). It's very cheap - it only costs a few pence to view each record.

www.familyrelatives.com (another pay per view site) used to be useful because it has BMDs indexed up to 1920, but freeBMD has almost caught up with it now.

Colleen

Colleen Report 28 Dec 2007 21:31

Local libraries I have visited around the country, have a link to ancestry.com for free. Ask at th front desk.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 28 Dec 2007 22:00

Hi Sharon,

I agree Ancestry but if you have any Scottish research by far the best site is.

www.scotlandsfamilytree.moonfruit.com

10 pounds a year or a trial for 3 pounds. Check it out, worth every penny.

Cheers
Malcolm

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 28 Dec 2007 22:19

i`ve found an incredible amount of info from this site below,if you are researcing pre 1837 bm,d`s in CHESHIRE...
www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/
take a look at the `parish records thread.`..its brilliant info...over 200 replies/sites
regards....allan

Bee~fuddled.

Bee~fuddled. Report 29 Dec 2007 00:11

There's a lot of info, and very helpful members, on FamilyTreeForum. Although there are no census or BMD records you'll find lots of other stuff, particularly good for background details.

They're very welcoming! (Not that GR members aren't, but there's very few site problems.)

Bee.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 30 Dec 2007 14:58

Bee~fuddled

Thanks for info on FamilyTreeForum have found a link to one of my families

Marilyn