Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"I have shared my tree"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Dec 2007 20:49

This seems to be an automated response on the part of GR.

Why do they do it?

M. Steer

Sidami

Sidami Report 28 Dec 2007 21:13

I don't know Maureen but I know it is annoying if you forget to un tick this.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Dec 2007 21:22

Untick what?

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 28 Dec 2007 21:32

Go into 'Messages' and then Your Contacts. You will then see if you have given access to your tree by mistake. Untick it..you will seee why I mean when to see it!

We've all done it with this newer system...I'm forever checking.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Dec 2007 21:42

Teresa, I have given this person access to my Tree and not by mistake but I've discovered that two messages have been sent to this person, supposedly from me saying 'I have shared my tree' - I did not send them - I wouldn't be so rude.

M. Steer

Kate

Kate Report 28 Dec 2007 22:18

I find them a bit pointless sometimes, considering that - at the top of the e-mail - it is set up to tell the recipient if the sender has opened their tree or not.

Also, I often mention in reply e-mails if I have opened my tree anyway.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Dec 2007 22:48

Thankyou all.

I've never sent a message to anyone saying 'I have shared my tree'.

This can only have been sent by GR - why?

M. Steer

Sprack

Sprack Report 28 Dec 2007 23:14

Probably just a genes error, I used to get loads of messages from people saing they have shared their tree especialy after I had deleted them from my contacts list, it seemed to happen everytime they logged on but it hasn't happen lately.
Jenny

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Dec 2007 10:27

This message is sent automatically as soon as someone allows access to their tree, by clicking on the button, they don't consciously send a message. However if they remove access, then no message is sent.

This sometimes accounts for the fact that when you go and check, you DON'T have access. The other party was perhaps experimenting pressing buttons i.e. allowed access to see how it worked, (which triggered the message) then removed it almost immediately.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Dec 2007 10:29

Does anyone know for certain if deleting a contact from your list automatically deletes it from theirs? I don't think it does.