Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

date a photo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 29 Dec 2007 12:45

Does anyone know of a place to get old photos dated please?
Carole

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 29 Dec 2007 12:57

Depends on what the photo is of. If its a portrait, should be fairly easy to date by what clothes are being worn. Most of the genealogy mags have a 'photo dating' section and will date photos for you - but obviously that cant date everyones so its luck of the draw. Military uniforms are easily dated

Carole

Carole Report 29 Dec 2007 12:59

Hi Colin, I didn't think of that I'll have a look to see if I have any old book's about. Or Who do you think you are mag might have some addresses.
Thanks Carole

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 29 Dec 2007 13:14

Does the photo have the name and studio address on it, if you have that info you can search local trade directories to find lisitings for the photographer. this will help you collate the period in which a specific photographer was working. You can use other factors to age pictures, even facial expressions will help date a photo. Family Tree Magazine dates readers photos each month and if your photo is interesting may well help you

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 29 Dec 2007 13:31

Hi
Post it on (scan and send)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php
They are pretty good at dating photo's
Cheers
Paul

Bee~fuddled.

Bee~fuddled. Report 29 Dec 2007 13:35

Carole, if you register on the Family Tree Forum site (free - donations appreciated), there's a thread there specifially for photos, and lots of helpful people to hep you.

Bee.

Carole

Carole Report 29 Dec 2007 15:41

Thanks to you all for your help Carole x

Llamedos

Llamedos Report 29 Dec 2007 20:19

If there is a name and address of a proffessional photographer - dating can be possible using a trade directory which will provide a time span when he was in business. If no information on rear - I suggest that you photocopy the photo, and send it to the National Photographic Museum at Bradford together with a SAE for reply - they have dated photographs for me with great accuracy in the past - if you live near - call - you will receive a warm welcome. Good luck.