Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Write or phone??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

covlass

covlass Report 29 Dec 2007 13:43

I am sure I have found the address & telephone number of my 1st cousin. his mother was my fathers sister. I know nothing about her apart from who she married and her sons fisrt name.
Should I write to him or call him??? I am so excited about this but am unsure of how he will react
What should I do???

covlass

covlass Report 29 Dec 2007 13:55

Thanks Michael
i thought that but sisters said phone
thankyou letter it is

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 29 Dec 2007 14:25

If you phone you run the risk of interupting a meal, favourite programme or calling just as holy war is breaking out for some reason.

A phone call demands an instant response which isn't ideal.

A letter allows you to explain things more clearly and gives someone time to take things in, one word of advice though, keep a letter short and to the point, it is so easy to try and explain all sorts of things and just cause confusion.

Glen

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 29 Dec 2007 14:56

Greeting’s Covlass…………..

I think it would be an idea to include
A self addressed & stamped envelope with your letter
Politely asking for a reply either way…

MIKE.

Carole

Carole Report 29 Dec 2007 15:21

I'd also say write. My uncle made a phone call to someone with the same surname as him from the directory. He said he didn't get a very good response. After a while I sent a letter with a sae and got a lovely letter back from and old lady who was widowed. She explained her late husbands conection to the name and turned out no connection to our family . x

Laura

Laura Report 29 Dec 2007 17:24

I would recommend writing too!

Much easier for both parties, you can get your info across without becoming flummoxed etc, and they can take it in at their own speed, maybe reading a few times before deciding to follow it up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Laura