Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anston Yorkshire 1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Dec 2007 20:33

I want to look through the Ancestry pages for Anston in 1851 in the hope of finding a mis transcription.
I can't find it in the usual enumeration descriptions. According to the Rotherham family history society it is HO107/2122 but I still can't find it.
I would be grateful if anyone can give me a link into it.
The family name is Lister

Linda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Dec 2007 20:40

No result for 'Anston/Yorkshire'

However, if you put simply Anston in the 'Civil parish' box, there are numerous results for North Anston, Notts.........and many of the residents list their birthplace as Anston, Yorks.............could there have been some boundary adjustments?

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Dec 2007 20:42

This seems to be the only Yorks 'piece' missing from 1851..........

Piece County
2332 Yorkshire

Broadroyd Head
Carlton
Carr Green
Cudworth with High & Low Cudworth
Darton
Darton Lane Head Darton with Blacker
Mapplewell
Notton
Roystone
Staincross & Swallow Hill
Woolley

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Dec 2007 20:43

Piece 2122 is Nottinghamshire..........

Reg

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Dec 2007 20:48

The BVRI discs have records for Anston, Yorkshire and there are a few Listers there.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Dec 2007 20:51

Thank you everyone, it is close to the border. so I will go and look now. I have the BVRI discs, so will look at them, I keep forgetting about them
I just found them in 1861 when they were missing as well. I knew they were in Derbyshire by then. It doesn't help when despite the image clearly reading John Lister, Ancestry have transcribed it as Sister John

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Dec 2007 21:23

Thank you Reggie, I think I have found the mistranscription I was looking for. I hadn't got any results because I hadn't got exact match ticked on the blank search page, so when I put Anston in it said there were no matches.,ticking exact search brought up 498.
Thank you Margaret because the BIVRI disc had some older results not on the IGI so I got another generation back.

Linda

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Dec 2007 22:23

Anston, North and south are on the boarder of notts and south yorks and to this day the address comes under yorks but it has a notts phone number

i would think that for census it would show as Nottinghamshire

WORKSOP REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Nottinghamshire.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Sub-districts : Anston; Carburton; Carlton; Clowne; Cuckney; Worksop.
GRO volumes : XV (1837-51); 7b (1852-1946); 3C (1946-74).

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Dec 2007 22:29

REGISTRATION DISTRICTS IN YORKSHIRE WEST RIDING
The list below shows the civil registration districts in the West Riding of the county of York (Yorkshire) between 1st July 1837 and 31st March 1974. The same districts were used to compile the censuses returns for the years 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901.

Worksop is listed near the bottom so for the census it would be in Nottinghamshire

Roy

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Dec 2007 22:33

Thank you they certainly don't make it easy for us.
Being in Worksop explains some of the odd bmd results i had seen and probably discounted, I will go back and have another look

Linda