Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I thought this couldn't happen!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 29 Dec 2007 21:38

I decided to google a recently found relative today as he had unusual name I thought I'd have some luck. Bingo theres one hit. The genes site which I clicked into and theres full access to my tree!
I thought our trees were only accessible through direct entry to the site by us with our password Am I wrong?
I am really uncomfortable with this. Sue

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 29 Dec 2007 23:03

Hi,
Exit GR and clear all your cookies using the web browser Tools on the toolbar. Then try and gain access via google.
Paul

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 29 Dec 2007 23:42

I was surprised last week when I googled a research interest and found the link was a message posting I had made myself on this very tips board! I didn't know this tips board was public access.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 30 Dec 2007 04:42

Tracey, all of the site is indexed by Google, but as Paul had said, if you are a member and stay signed in, you will automatically be taken to the page. Non members or those not signed in I think should not be able to view the site.

Victoria

Victoria Report 30 Dec 2007 08:43

Susan,

I have just put some of the names in my tree and googled them and they do not come up with any genes info. Are you sure you weren't using the search facility on genes?

Just a thought. If you are certain you weren't I suggest you contact genes. However, non members can use the search facility at the top of the page and they can get the info it displays so George Bloggs 1916 Plymouth etc but they cannot actually get into your tree without your permission. They can if they are crafty put in a search for all bloggs born in Plymouth and see if the same name is by it as holder of the tree

BW

Jane

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 30 Dec 2007 10:25

Hello Susan,
Have you resolved your problem?
Paul

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Dec 2007 17:14

Also be aware that GR make the following statement within the Privacy Policy section of the T's and C's.

"Given the global nature of the World Wide Web, any posting, including but not limited to some or all of the family tree details and/or message board postings you input onto the Genes Reunited Service including any which contain personal information is accessible to be viewed by non-Member internet users around the world who access the relevant information by means of searches conducted through internet search engines and the like."

Maggie 'O the Mainland

Maggie 'O the Mainland Report 30 Dec 2007 23:19

When I use Google to search for anything it will come up with
eg: 14 entries saved to your computer if it is something I have researched or been on before. Is that what you clicked on.
Maria