Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query on finding a church in a parish on IGI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Esta

Esta Report 31 Dec 2007 18:09

Hi - this might sound a completely daft question but well someone has to ask them.

Been off to husband's ancestoral village of Much Marcle today to see if I could find any further information of gravestones. There are IGI records of the Baker family in Much Marcle going back centuries but in the main church there no Bakers buried.

Does anyone know whether this type of info can be extacted from IGI records as I cant see any info of which church(s) the information is coming and without it would take a lot of driving to locate which church yard the majority would be buried in. They all lived within the same area.

There are still living Bakers in the village but felt it was rude to pitch up on their door step and ask such a personal thing.

Sorry if the above is a stupid question but as I said someone had to ask!

Sue

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 31 Dec 2007 18:15

Try the Hugh Wallis site, you can search by county and parish:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Esta

Esta Report 31 Dec 2007 18:18

Many thanks - I will try it now.

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 31 Dec 2007 19:49

Greeting’s Sue.……

St. Bartholomew’s is the Parish Church for Much Marcle, Hereford,

Plus it might help if you bring St. Michaels Parish Church Ledbury.
into the search seeing it’s only 4.4. miles away.

To cut down your leg work It would pay you to visit the
Records Office which covers these two Parishes.
Then in the comfort of a chair you should be able to search through both Parish burial registers
Once you have your information then make an on site visit………..

Or if Hereford has a Family History Society Centre of Latter Day Saints Centre. ask them if they have the burial fiches or CD’s for these Parishes ?
Then make your visit…….

Or a letter to the Parish Council asking if a grave yard plan is available to pin point the graves of your relatives

Hope this helps

MIKE.

Esta

Esta Report 31 Dec 2007 21:23

Mike
We visited St. Bartholomew’s today and could only find 3 recent burials of Bakers there but the family lived and still lives in the district for 300 years so I'm thinking they must be buried someone else asI can't believe with some members of the family having 10 children each that there wouldn't be some evidence of them.

It may well be worth me making a trip to the records office in Hereford and tracking them that way.

Sue

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 31 Dec 2007 22:29

Have pm'd you.

Joan

Joan Report 1 Jan 2008 08:35

This may help
Much Marcle Herefordshire

6 villages within 2 kilometres

Bodenham Bank Herefordshire
Hallwood Green Gloucestershire
Lyne Down Herefordshire
Much Marcle Herefordshire
Preston Gloucestershire
Rushall Herefordshire
Joan

Joan

Joan Report 1 Jan 2008 08:43

esta
Just had a thought.
I have a sub to familyhistoryonline and it has some burial records of Much Marcleand other parts of herefordshire.
If you give me a couple of specific Bakers and very approx year of death i will look for you

Joan

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 1 Jan 2008 12:01

As well as old stones eroding, crumbling, falling and being removed - dont forget a lot of folk couldnt actually afford a stone and may be even have been buried in communial graves.

I have visited quite a few of my ancestral villages and found very few graves of my direct ancestors.