Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aliases

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catharine

Catharine Report 1 Jan 2008 14:56

My great grandfather changed his name from James Gooding to William Smith. Family stories says he jumped ship and changed his name to hide his identity. He was living as William but used his real name when he married. Does anyone know if he could have simply assumed his new name without having to do so through a legal process? Many thanks, Cathy

Sam

Sam Report 1 Jan 2008 14:58

Yes he could. Anyone can call themselves anything they like, it doesn't have to be done by deed poll.

Sam x

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 1 Jan 2008 15:25

catherine..my grandfather was born reginald percival roberts in welshpool.......he married as percy anson...the story goes that reggies dad left the mother and 5 kids and went to live over the street with another woman.....so the mother changed her and all the childrens surnames....i`ve never found anything in writing about the name change,but percy`s marriage cert and all his 10 children were christened anson....his mum`s death cert says anson....she married roberts...and maiden name was adams....now work that one out..lol...as i say,we have no proof she changed the names LEGALLY............regards...allan

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Jan 2008 15:54

You can use any name you chose providing it is not for illegal purposes. However, I guess if you are doing it for illegal purposes you wouldn't be too bothered about breaking the law!