Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish records..death certifiicate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Veronica

Veronica Report 1 Jan 2008 16:28

Hi, I have been using Scotlandspeople and have a death certificate for Mary Ann Simpson. Where it says Fathers name and occupation, it has been left blank and for mother it says " Elizabeth Hagen millworker afterwards married to William Baird wool spinner deceased ".

Is it safe to say that this means the child was illigitimate and Hagen was the mothers maiden name?. On the index it states Mary Ann Simpson other names Hagen and Baird and on her daughters marriage cert she is Simpson maiden name Baird.

I would be glad of your opinions, thanks alot Ronnie

Veronica

Veronica Report 1 Jan 2008 16:42

Hi Suzanne, no, I havent found relevant marriages. Elizabeth Hagen to William Baird nor the daughter Mary Ann Baird to John Simpson whose daughter Mary eventually married John Thomson in 1926. Neither have I found a birth for Mary Ann Hagen. There is a birth for a Mary Ann Baird but this was to parents Alexander Baird and Mary Baird nee Williamson. I suppose she could have married both a William and later an Alexander but the dates dont add up. I think I need to keep trying, but thanks for your reply Ronnie

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 1 Jan 2008 16:58

Info is only as good as the informant passes to the registrar.

Perhaps the informant didn't know the details or had been led to believe something for many years that was factually incorrect.

Glen

Veronica

Veronica Report 1 Jan 2008 17:16

Yes as you say Glen, I'm going to keep digging see what I can find if anything on the census returns. From death cert seems Mary Ann (Baird) Simpson was born circa 1865 so might lead me somewhere. Cheers Ronnie

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 1 Jan 2008 19:00

Hey Ronnie

There is this birth

MARY ANN HAGAN
Birth: 11 APR 1865 Kilmarnock, Ayr, Scotland
Mother: ELIZABETH HAGAN

Mhairi

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 1 Jan 2008 19:06

There is also

ELLEN HAGAN
Birth: 24 FEB 1869 Kilmarnock, Ayr, Scotland
Mother: ELIZABETH HAGAN

Who could be related

Veronica

Veronica Report 2 Jan 2008 17:34

Thanks Mhairi, went off line last night and been spring cleaning all day, so have only just seen your replies. The Mary Ann Hagen looks most promising as I found an entry on 1881 Scotland census at Fenwick Ayr for William Baird a wool spinner(as stated on death cert) with Elizabeth 40 and Mary 15 both born Kilmarnock . She used Baird as a name so it appears that she took his name.Thanks again Ronnie