Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused - Ancestry uk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 1 Jan 2008 17:29

Been a member for about two years now, paying approx £29 per quarter taken straight from my VISA....................Just gone on to view a record and it won't let me, says I need to upgrade?? and call's me a Guest even though my log in is still the same

Can't remember in the last two years ever having to upgrade or re-subscribe.................... I was only on there yesterday with no problems at all

Help lol..........whats happening

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jan 2008 17:47

probably just a glitch . have you tried rebooting or maybe not going in thro your favourites but signing in again thro google.

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 1 Jan 2008 17:53

Just logged off and started afresh and it is still asking for an upgrade / subscription - really confused as this has not happened before

Moira

Moira Report 1 Jan 2008 18:00

I have also been a member of Ancestry for 4 years and paying £9-95 per month take from the bank by Switch card, I have now changed Banks and have been issued with a mastro card. to now be told that they do not deal with mastro, nor direct debits, nor standing orders.I was advised to buy pay to view vouchers, this would cost me an arm and leg, so now I cannot use Ansestry

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 1 Jan 2008 18:10

Moira, all I can think is that I have just changed me email addy with them and now something as gone wrong.................will have to ring them direct later in the week

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 1 Jan 2008 18:20

Maddies mate, have you checked if your credit card has expired and they are unable to draw on it? (being first of month)

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 1 Jan 2008 18:29

Nope not thought of that Keith, will check it now and see if that is the problem Thanks

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 1 Jan 2008 18:48

My card ran out in Sept & I was paying monthly. I did get an email from Ancestry but obviously I didn't update my card correctly because about a month later I got cut off.
I then went onto Ancestry to up date my card again & looked to see how much it was going to cost for Annual membership (too much!)
I then came out of that screen to go back on monthly when Ancetsry said "stop, we'll give you 20% discount" so I took it.
Strange because I paid by Maestro, 100% certain on this, it's the only card I have

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 1 Jan 2008 18:55

Hi Maddie,
I had a prob with this a few weeks ago,They sent me an email to say my account was ending!I got onto Ancestry and my log in was still up.I went to accounts screen to check my card details and that sent me round in circles saying my password was wrong!I rang them next day and was told quite a lot of emails had been sent out by accident and my account was fine.Do think Ancestry are having quite a few probs recently.I suggest you ring them-staff were very helpful.

Hope you get searching soon.Happy New Year!

Michelle

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jan 2008 23:43

My Ancestry is overdue and I received an email today telling me that my card details are not correct.
****I have changed cards**** Please go to My Account and update card details. Glad I took a look as they had checked me off as Upgrade which was going to cost £199........... not happy. UK they are asking £79. Last year I only used it during the last three weeks. Friend in USA got hers for around £40 so I think a phone call is needed.

Margaret N

Maggie 'O the Mainland

Maggie 'O the Mainland Report 2 Jan 2008 08:14

Hi All,
I have had ancestry for about the last 2 or 3 years but I got sick of the brick wall I was hitting and let my membership slide. At the moment I'm doing a monthly sub and see where it goes as I have a lead but when I tried to sign up for that monthly sub it wouldn't accept my card or my husbands, rang bank, no problems, got an email away to Ancestry and they were having problems with credit cards from New Zealand and suggest I try doing my sub thru their aussie branch. That all went OK - but for some reason I can see original records of cenus but not of births marriages and deaths. I wrote them an email saying NOT ON as by paying per month it actually costs more. Not heard back yet. By the way it seems really slow at the moment too.
Maria

Ellie

Ellie Report 2 Jan 2008 16:27

Hi Maggie

That sounds pretty rubbish, but if you want FREE access to births, marriages and deaths then go to http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl.

I prefer to use this rather than Ancestry as you can search both spouses names when looking for marriage matches and can also get the specific GRO references for births and deaths, rather than having to scan through a whole page of listing.

I hope this helps.

Ellie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2008 17:05

freebmd is only of use if your research stops at around 1920

Reg

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 2 Jan 2008 18:45

Thanks everyone, I will go and check my emails now ( just got in from work ) and also see if I can log in,

My card had expired but I haevn't had an email from them to ask for an update

Will let you know how I can on

Thanks again

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 2 Jan 2008 18:51

Recieved an email from them saying my account has been cancelled due to my card details expiring............since I don't go on that much I will just pay when I need ( one month at a time )

Since my tree is at a standstill it makes more sense not to keep paying for something that I don't use on a regular basis

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 2 Jan 2008 19:42

All of the above sounds most odd. My subscription was up for renewal in November and my card had expired. Logged into membership profile, updated my credit card details, and all is fine.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 2 Jan 2008 21:53

Maddie - why not give them a ring on their freephone number . . . . 08004049723, they are very helpful.

Stu