Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can Anyone Help Me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lilys_Mommy

Lilys_Mommy Report 1 Jan 2008 20:08

I'm a total newbie to this, so apologies if I am doing something really stupid from the offset!

Could anyone help me - I very recently started to research my family tree and I have hit an instant brickwall concerning my paternal grandmother. Her birth name was Edith Hird (and I always believed she was born in Sheffield on 12/2/1907 - but nothing to confirm this). She was subsequently adopted (in Sheffield - no dates) and then known as Barlow. She married (in 1928 in Sheffield) to Charles Roebuck (the marriage was registered in Q2 1928 and she is refered to as "Edith Barlow or Hird" - I have located the index for this). She died in 1979 in Sheffield (which was registered in the 2nd quarter and the index confirms her date of birth as 12/2/1907). However... I am unable to locate any record of her birth (despite the reference to her DOB on her Death registration index). Can anyone help me with this one as I'm not sure what to do next (apart from give up and move onto research another grandparent!) Thanks in advance for any help - would be much appreciated. Karen

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2008 20:14

their is this birth but in 1908

Name: Edith Barlow
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Sheffield
County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9c
Page: 532

Roy

Laura

Laura Report 1 Jan 2008 20:20

I guess that could be it if a re-registration due to the adoption? I don't really know much about adoption and how the process goes. It may have changed between then and now too.

What does it give as father's name on her marriage certificate? Is it the adopted one? Did she ever know her birth parents?

Laura

Lilys_Mommy

Lilys_Mommy Report 1 Jan 2008 20:23

Hi Porkie Pie - thanks so much for the info. Just so I know for future reference, Is it unusual to have such a gap before registering a birth back in 1907 - did they not have the limits they have now? Karen

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2008 20:28

Their was no formal process for adoption untill about 1926/27 and then the child would not have been re-registered onto the normal birth register.

If the Lady was unsure about her name eg marriage cert "Edith Barlow or Hird" then it is not out of the question that she was wrong about her dob

Roy

Lilys_Mommy

Lilys_Mommy Report 1 Jan 2008 20:37

Thanks for helping a newbie - much appreciated!
Karen
PS - I've been dying to ask another question - what does nudge mean?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2008 20:37

you have always had upto 6 weeks to register a birth, but sometimes people could not afford to register within that time so some births were registered late, but a late registration should appear on the register in the quarter that the event was actually registered with a note/reference to the register for the quarter that the event should have been registered and that register would have the entry added at the bottom of that page

Hope you understand what i meen

Roy

Nudge is just what people do to bring the thread to the top of the board, as you cannot clickon submit without any text being in the box,

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Jan 2008 21:47

When a relative of mine was given up she
had all names changed?????
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Florence Hird
Name: Florence Hird
Year of Registration: 1907
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Sheffield
County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9c
Page: 744

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Jan 2008 22:01

Jim, the birth you found would explain her dob and the fact that no Edith was registered.

I saw the entry for Florence Hird but was not thinking along thoughs lines at the time

their was no way of the registrar knowing that the child was already registered the year previous in another name? and people did tell porkies then just as the do today

Roy