Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Generations v.8.0

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bob

Bob Report 2 Jan 2008 15:16

I am using Generations (The one published by Broderbond for Windows XP) and there seems to be a limit to the number of generations I can enter. Can anybody advise?

Bob

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 2 Jan 2008 17:07

I use the same and do not seem to have any limit, I am working fourteen generations back at the moment.

Jennifer

Bob

Bob Report 2 Jan 2008 23:50

Thanks Jennifer, I`m stuck on the 18th generation. Good luck when you reach it.

Bob

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Jan 2008 14:34

As far as I am aware, Generations is no longer available nor officially supported. Generations was apparently known to have a number of limitations and bugs which were never properly fixed, even in subsequent releases, so it could be that this is one of the limitations.

The company that originally published it was acquired by Broaderbund, who were already publishing Family Tree Maker, 5 or 6 years ago and it was quietly dropper in favour of their own more popular product.

FTM is now of course distributed by the MyFamily network of Internet properties which includes
MyFamily.com, Ancestry.com, Genealogy.com, and RootsWeb.com.

Geneaology.com did at one time run a Generations User Forum, and it is worth checking on there.

Ron at Genealogy Printers or Trevor at TWR Computing may also be able to provide more info on the product.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Jan 2008 14:49

Update to last post

I see that Trevor still has copies of Generations 8.5 so it is worth checking with him

Try emailing [email protected]

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 3 Jan 2008 18:52

Bob,

I have experimented and have entered
forty generations, so far have had no problem, so can only suppose you have a glitch in your programme.

Jennifer

Carol

Carol Report 3 Jan 2008 19:21

There were some problems for some users when Generations version 8 was loaded onto XP for some users. They bought out version 8.5 to try and overcome these problems, we use both versions without any probems. You should be able to enter as many generations as you want.

Carol
www.genealogyprinters.com