Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I could use some help re: adoption within family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jan 2008 07:13

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could please give me instructions on how to show an adoption within the family.
My cousin was adopted by his Aunt after his mother died.
Is there a way to show this?
Thanks so much for any help you can give me
Kind Regards
Shirley :o)

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 3 Jan 2008 19:41

Hi Shirley
Can you add the child to your aunt's line ( a child of your aunt) and make a note of the connection?
Paul

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 00:12

So do you mean add the child in two different places and make a note in each one? I've done that...but I was hoping I could actually connect the two so it's more obvious.
Thanks for your reply Paul I really appreciate it.
All the best for the New Year
Kind Regards
Shirley :o)

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 4 Jan 2008 03:57

Hi Shirley,
Do you mean an off-line tree? Does your program have a 'link to existing person' facility? (mind you I've never tried to link children). Some have the abilty to automatically add existing children to a second marriage but I ignore that.
I do have some experience - Woman relative has a child to unknown father and he is adopted out (name of new parents was known so the second birth registration was found.) Woman marries - by this time her neice has 2 kids by father unknown and they are adopted with same first names by Aunt with her married name. I have them in each family with notes to the facts rather than trying to link them.
HTH
B

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 04:27

Hi Bernie,
Thanks for your reply. I've been using the genes reunited family tree.
The child is my cousin...he was born to my uncle & his wife...but when the mother died my cousin was then adopted by my uncles sister..my aunt... & her husband. I'm trying to work out if there is a way of just having the child listed once but being connected to both my uncle & his sister.
At the moment I've had to list the child twice and just leave a note to explain everything.
I've been getting frustrated trying to work out how to do this on my tree...but your family tree sounds like it could be realllllly confusing! lol
Thanks for helping Bernie
Kind Regards
Shirl :o)

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 4 Jan 2008 06:12

Hi again,
GR won't even let cousins get married!! (well not if they are already existing). There is no way thay are going to let a person be in two places at once. I have found that one of my programs will allow a link to an existing child - but if he was born Joe Brown, then that is what he remains, even if he was formally adopted as Joe Smith - and heaven help if he was renamed Alexander.
All the best.
B

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 06:58

Oh dear...it sounds like things are definitely not meant to be easy hey! lol
Thanks anyway Bernie
(((hugs)))
Shirl :o)