Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stoke on Trent Potteries....Painters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 00:15

Hi,
Does anyone know how to find info on the artists from the Stoke on Trent potteries. One of my rellies was supposedly a painter with the potteries either in the late 1800's or maybe early 1900's but I'd like to be able to get official confirmation.
Any suggestions?
Thanks so much
Kind Regards
Shirley :o)

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 4 Jan 2008 00:19

have you tried googling?

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 00:22

yes, but I'm having trouble finding any info

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 4 Jan 2008 00:26

did you try googling the artists name?

or what about stoke potteries history, maybe something will come up there.

Another alternative is contacting Stoke on Trent Archives, maybe they will have something.

Good Luck!

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 4 Jan 2008 00:30

Try googling Stoke Potteries Biographies and see if the name comes up

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 00:35

Thanks...I will go and try all of your suggestions...fingers crossed tightly
Shirl :o)

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 4 Jan 2008 00:37

I've had a quick look but without your ancestors name, I can't find anything for you. Soing a search on Stoke Pottery History brought up some good choices for artists 1800's

Sam

Sam Report 4 Jan 2008 01:01

I'm sorry but 90% of the population of Stoke in the 1800/1900's worked in the pottery industry, a heck of a lot of them as painters / paintresses.

Unless they were very very well known - think Clarice Cliff or Susie Cooper - then they are likely to be just general workers in a Pot Bank (Pottery Factory).

Sam x

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 01:02

My rellies name is Angela Holmes.
I found the Stoke on Trent Pottery history site but couldn't find the info I'm after....unless of course I've looked in the wrong sections. :OP Still looking though
Thanks for all of your help ((((((hug))))))

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 01:12

Hi Sam, so is there no way of checking if she actually worked there and when?

Sam

Sam Report 4 Jan 2008 01:16

No worries, it seriously is like looking for a needle in a haystack though, unless your relly is related to Josiah Wedgwood or something!!

Like I say, unfortunately most people in the area worked in the pottery industry and very few were worthy of a mention in any record books.

All of my mum's side of the family back to mid 1700's were potters of one description or another (painters / placers / saggar makers / dish makers / designers / firemen) and I've not come across one who was worthy of a mention in any book. Unfortunately a Painter/Paintress was just another job on a factory and unless you were exceptionally good at it, you got no recognition.

I have one called Henry Lewis Mountford who apparently was a well known designer for Wedgwoods, but even their archive dept can find no record of him.

Sam x

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jan 2008 02:24

Oh how sad....you'd think a designer would have at least rated a mention!
Well at least it saves me spending long hours at the computer trying to find something that is impossible to find.
Thanks for your help Sam ((((((hug))))))
I'm guessing you're not in the UK just like me (even though your id name is Sam from Stoke)...either that or you're pulling an all-nighter! lol
Shirl :o) ...in Australia

Denis

Denis Report 4 Jan 2008 10:27

Hi

I've done quite a bit of digging around into pottery history in such places as Liverpool and Glasgow and, as Sam suggests, there were many, many unrecorded painters, some no more than children. However, if you have names and approximate dates then you might consider searching on a census for confirmation of their employment?

Sam

Sam Report 4 Jan 2008 12:19

Hi Shirley

No - I'm still in Stoke! Couldn't sleep last night :-)

Sam x

Sarahh

Sarahh Report 4 Jan 2008 20:53

I had similar trouble trying to find a relative who was a footballer that came from the area, well also it didn't help that I didn't know where to look lol.