Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone going to Calderdale Library in Halifax?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rowena

Rowena Report 4 Jan 2008 10:15

Hi I would like to try and gain some information about a relative that I think would be stored at Calderdale library but I live in Bristol.

If anyone is going into Calderdale library, would there be any chance of someone looking for Sarah Jane Sutcliffe she lived in 1922 2 Hartley's Square, Perseverance Road. I would like to know who she was living with. Was she a servant? Did she marry another Sutcliffe? Any info would be gelpful and appreciated.

Regards

Rowena

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jan 2008 11:23

Only those eligible to vote would be included on the ER......

Reg

Rowena

Rowena Report 4 Jan 2008 11:28

So would she have not been about to vote. I though that women just got the vote around then?

Rowena

Rowena Report 4 Jan 2008 11:32

"The 1918 Representation of the People Act was the start of female suffrage in Great Britain. The bill was passed by an overwhelming majority in the House of Commons (385 for to 55 against) – an element of support that surprised the Suffragettes and other suffragist movements. The 1918 Representation of the People Act gave women of property over the age of 30 the right to vote – not all women, therefore, could vote – but it was a major start" - from the History learning site.

I know that she was over 30 but I am not sure whether she had her own property. That is why I am interested to know. If she was not able to vote that was fine!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jan 2008 15:13

As you have the address, you could try contacting the library, in the hope that they are one of the ones who will carry out ER searches............

Reg