Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Folded certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2008 17:46

7 certs arrived in the post for me today - yay! I'm really excited, but also a bit miffed as instead of coming in A4 envelopes, they've come in smaller ones, meaning each cert is folded in half.

I know it's not a huge deal, but I always try really hard to keep certificates flat etc.

Has anyone else found this with recent orders from GRO?

Laura

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 4 Jan 2008 17:52

Yes Laura, it's because of the new postal charges for 'Large Envelopes'. To post an A4 envelope now costs more.

Try Ironing them like they uded to do newspapers!!

jennifer

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 4 Jan 2008 17:52

Yes it might have something to do with the way the Royal Mail now charge extra postage for larger envelopes

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 4 Jan 2008 17:53

Yes...it's all to do with the cost.

Smaller envelopes are cheaper to post now than the A4 ones!

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2008 18:15

Thought it was probably due to cost, just a bit disappointed that's all!
Oh well!

Will get the iron out

Laura
x

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 4 Jan 2008 18:49

I have found it infuriating as on death certs. the fold is right on the "cause of death"..... not easy to read at the best of times, but with a big fold down the middle it dos`nt help....... I`d rather pay the extra on the price and get them back to larger envelopes and NO folds......

Nicky

Sarahh

Sarahh Report 4 Jan 2008 20:02

The last 2 I ordered not long before xmas came folded in a smaller envelope. One looked like it had a little knaw mark on to that went through a bit of the envelope and on the certificate.

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 4 Jan 2008 20:29

I don't mind getting folded certs. Whenever I send to the local offices I always send small SAEs and get some folded in 4!!
I even fold some myself (heresy??) as copies of original marriage certs are too long to fit in an A4 wallet.

Andy

Alan

Alan Report 4 Jan 2008 20:43

I find the folded certs arrive in better condition than the A4s used to.

The problem was that Postie wasn't too careful cramming the larger envelopes through our letterbox and they always ended up creased!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jan 2008 10:53

I'd like to bet that any original certs you may be lucky to have, are folded.......several times!

Reg

Laura

Laura Report 5 Jan 2008 12:45

Yep original ones are folded, just something I always wanted to be careful about.

Christine that post is deleted now, could you PM me what it said and who it was?

Thanks

Laura

Laura

Laura Report 5 Jan 2008 14:04

True, never thought of that really as mine had always arrived in a good condition. Guess I just got used to them coming in A4 - I always order from the GRO

laura