Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Cert. Info.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2008 23:00

I sent for a death cert. which arrived today but I'm still unsure if it's the right one because the death was registered by a coroner. When I applied for the cert. I entered the details of both his parents but did not request cross checking with this, the cert has come to me with a copy of the application showing the parents, does this mean the cert sent to me did have these parents?

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2008 23:09

The address was London Hospital and the informant John Humphreys Coroner for Middlesex.
Would I be able to see hospital records or a copy of the inquest report, if so do you know where I have to go for this please?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Jan 2008 23:11

for a better understanding of BMD certs try this site

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jan 2008 23:17

The names of parents are not recorded on English/Welsh death certs.............

If the death is of a child, the person registering the death is normally one of the parents, and the fact would be recorded under the 'qualification' heading.

Reg

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2008 23:26

Thanks everyone for your input. I do know where the London Hospital is and it's not out of my reach to get there but not sure if records that old (1863) would be held there or anywhere else. He was an adult (45years) so no clues to the address or family. Things do point to him being the right one but I've been there before and found I had the wrong one!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jan 2008 23:28

Does his occupation match that recorded on censuses?

Reg

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2008 23:32

amokavid, can you tell me how I find the local newspaper at that time. My rellie was a labourer and his cause of death was "Violent death injuries from falling from a ladder accidentally" so I assume he was at work so this might well be reported in the local newspaper.

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2008 23:35

Yes Reg, he is registered as a Labourer.

Linda

Linda Report 4 Jan 2008 23:48

Thanks everyone for your help.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 5 Jan 2008 00:23

The London Hospital is very old and is, as far as I know, still in Whitechapel.